Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Looks? PASS! Functions? FAIL!

NOTE: The following pictures are of the proposed alternate spring option to trim parts cost of the self-opening trunk mod. The original spec OE Audi springs work perfectly, but are expensive ($52 cost per pair) in quantity. The alternate springs shown, had they worked, would have shaved $32 off that cost.

Arghh. :banghead:

The alternate (cheaper) springs I had sourced through Fastenal are not up to the high tension requirements to replace the OE Audi parts. I may try to source springs from a spring manufacturer to see if I can get them made in short runs from spec, but I am not hopeful the costs will be any better than the cost of the OE Audi springs if I purchase them in bulk. The alternate springs were going to be about a $20 factor in the cost of the hinge mod, if I were to bulk buy the Audi OE springs, it would add about $32 to cost per pair.

Before I spend a great deal of energy tracking down a new alternative spring option, can I get a show of hands indicating interest if I split the difference on the spring increase and offer the hinge mod at $186 instead of $170?

Cheers,

Keith

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
what audi make and year is the spring from?
Not sure Matt. the part number for the Audi spring is 4F5-827-665-A. World Impex will discount them to me from $36.66 each to $25.38 each if I am purchasing 50 of them (enough for 25 pairs of hinges).

Here's a pic of the genuine Audi part. In addition to having a stronger recoil tension, the Audi part comes with plastic grommets at either end for quieter operation:

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
UPDATE 6/19/2012:

I have submitted a couple of custom spring fabrication requests to manufacturers here in the U.S. to replicate the Audi spring in quantity. Stainless is an option. Fingers crossed!

In the mean time, the production refinements of the 302 stainless hardware designs continue, I am expecting a final revision to the angled anchor bracket to allow for a nylon washer between moving parts to both smooth and quiet operation.

PMs sent to interesteds to measure fallout if price escalates to $186 from $170 by using OE Audi springs.

Cheers!

Keith

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
UPDATE 28 June 2012:

I am traveling this week in L.A., but I have been evaluating spring production bids remotely from three U.S. suppliers. I am psyched to learn that custom springs are going to be much more reasonable than I expected, even with a finish match to the original spec Audi parts (black oxide). Will update again next week, but I expect I will move ahead with group buy (and start collecting payments) if my parts fabricator has supplied a new anchor bracket that I can install to proof a slightly revised bore for the mounting post.

And I received the stainless flange bolts from Fastenal, so when I install the revised anchor brackets, we should have a good view of the expected look and finish of the final production parts and hardware.

Cheers!

Keith

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
UPDATE: revised anchor bracket samples shipped to me today, so stay tuned. :wrench:

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
UPDATE 24 July 2012:

I found a durable grommet solution for the spring loops so I pulled the trigger on the custom spring production as well as the stainless fabrication order.

We are green for order collection.

PM me your email info and I will send you a Paypal invoice for $170, shipping included.

All that is needed to install is a 13mm socket wrench, 13mm combination wrench, 10mm combination wrench, large flat blade screwdriver, and drill with 17/64" and 3/32" or near equivalent hardened steel or cobalt steel drill bits.

I will be starting a new ACTIVE Group Buy thread with final prototype photos and production parts in progress as they come in.

ETA for springs and production stainless parts is 2-3 weeks, so first orders will easily have kits by this time next month.

:barmy:

Keith

61 - 73 of 73 Posts