Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new brake pads and rotors for the rear wheels(after only 41KMiles). The techs recommended Zimmerman, Brembo and Metal Masters parts rather than the authentic VW parts. They say it is exactly the same parts...and those 3 companies sell to VW. The techs are VERY reputable and I trust them explicitely, but I just wanted to get other opinions just to be safe. Has anyone ever heard of them? and what do you think?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
All of them are reputable Co., you can say that Brembo is the biggest Aftermarket and Sport brakes supplier in the world. As far as I know they will have only rotors like OE .
Zimmermann as well, very reputable, big German co. that is also supplying among others VW with OE Rotors

Metal Master are pads from PBR/Axxis and they also have very good reputation here amongst B5 members.

Generaly you can't miss with this Co. Maybe you would like to go with drilled or sloted rotors, as long as you changing them. Also check some other offers in order to get best prices.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now is the time to upgrade..

When the factory parts go, it is the perfect time to get an upgrade. (brakes, shocks etc)

I dont know what everyone else will say...but Ive used the Brembo rotor / metal master pad set up on several of my VWs over the years..with excellent results!

Even the non-cross drilled rotors are great..and not overly expensive.

my $0.02 Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am afraid I do not know what drilled and slotted rotors are or the advantages. Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Both drilled and slotted are better coping with heat and gases produced in process of braking.Heat and gases are afecting efficiency of braking. In same time they are like draining chanels for debri and water. Also looking a bit nicier than plain rotors (depending on personal taset,ofcourse).

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Anthracite, there's many threads on ClubB5 concerning braking!

The 3 OEM vendors mentioned by your technician manufacture excellent products. The Metal Masters brand of PBR/Axxis pads utilizes a very old compound formula which is known to be very harsh on rotors! Instead of Metal Masters, you might want to instruct your technicians to use PBR/Axxis' new Deluxe-Plus compound which produces less brake-dust than the stock Pagid and Jurid pads used by Volkswagen/Audi and isn't harsh on your rotors!

Now let's talk about slotted and drilled rotors.

This is an example of a cross-drilled rotor!

This is an example of a gas-slotted rotor

Nenad's post described a condition called fading where gas and even liquids can delay your brakepads from making full contact with the rotor surface. Slotted and cross drilled rotors prevents fading by removing liquids and gases from the surface. I'm not a huge fan of cross-drilled rotors on street applications because over time the drill points can crack which leads to rotors warping and irregular brakepad wear.

I've seen many quality slotted rotors on the market but my two favorite brands are Powerslot and ATE's Powerdisc line. Your trusted mechanics are leading you in the right direction as far as your brake replacement but have them check out the Deluxe-Plus pads instead of the Metal Masters. Don't forget to bed-in those new pads after the installation, and be sure to flush out your DOT4 brake-fluid every 2 years no matter how many miles are on the car.

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
In case you didn't already know this, I've got a Slotted, Cross Drilled or Drilled and Slotted Rotor GB going on right now. The first rotors shipped over 2 or 3 months ago and reviews have been great and the price is right.

Check it out! ;)

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i originally installed Metal Masters with the Powerdisc rotors, since the Ultimates were OOS at the time i bought it, but i recently swapped it out for the Ultimates, and the braking is just so much better. much more firm, brakes better cold, and doesn't fade close to as quickly. the only downsides are that the Ultimates are very dusty, compared to the MM, and i'm pretty sure they'll score the rotors worse than the MM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.