Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I post this question after reading about our transmissions for the past few days, finding many posts here on how the transmission acts with Full Syn vs OEM Blend Syn. Other forums like BMW and Audi also seem to have the same reactions...and the findings are the same as us:thumbup: What do you guys think...could the Syn blend be better for the tranny then a full Syn..being that the Syn blend is close to spec?

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,461 Posts
Since I do not know the answer to your question, I just stick with the overpriced OEM juice, which is much cheaper than a transmission rebuild.

8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I do not know the answer to your question, I just stick with the overpriced OEM juice, which is much cheaper than a transmission rebuild.
Well the Valvoline Maxlife ATF seems to work very well and tested well for the BMW guys. That ATF is only 4.50 per bottle and syn blend, and they seem to have better results from the Syn Blend then the full Syn from Valvoline Mercon V? Both are approved for the LTXXXX Transmission in our passats just wondering if those that have switch to a full syn and back to OEM notice any difference??

8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I think this is because of this web posts from other BMW members with our transmissions....BTW this is the post that made me make my choice. These guys did their homework and the findings are just like our for Passat. We both have the same transmission and found it funny they would buy the VW OEM ATF and love the price. Seems BMW charges 25 per liter for the same stuff, below is the site.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166135

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Great link. The Blackstone analysis definitely shows why one should do 2 and maybe 3 changes in a relatively short period of time to get more of the old stuff out.

8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great link. The Blackstone analysis definitely shows why one should do 2 and maybe 3 changes in a relatively short period of time to get more of the old stuff out.
I love how the numbers and thinking are the same from both forums. Never would have guess BMW's forum members would think and do the same thing as us.

See how even the owner of the thread stated he too was going to try the Maxlife. Maybe the full syn is to slippery for the ZF and they work better with syn blend...like the ESSO fluid. Now I am leaning toward the Maxlife

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I have Amsoil synthetic for ~3000 miles now. Knowing synthetics generally perform better in the cold, I hoped it would get rid of the cold weather clunk on the first upshift of the day. It didn't. Overall, no apparent difference in performance, only the satisfaction that 2/3 of the ugly original fluid was replaced. If I were to do it all over again I would not hesitiate to try the Maxlife. It is low risk to your tranny, and the fluid can be changed out again should you not like the result.

8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have Amsoil synthetic for ~3000 miles now. Knowing synthetics generally perform better in the cold, I hoped it would get rid of the cold weather clunk on the first upshift of the day. It didn't. Overall, no apparent difference in performance, only the satisfaction that 2/3 of the ugly original fluid was replaced. If I were to do it all over again I would not hesitiate to try the Maxlife. It is low risk to your tranny, and the fluid can be changed out again should you not like the result.
Thank you for your 2 cents. There doesn't seem to be to many user, but those that have didn't like it. I have only read one good post on Amsoil ATF, the rest lean towards D4. Maxlife...I just like that it still has the tranny and VW on the bottle.

8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isn't the tranny system sealed and good for life?
Lol...just read the link to the BMW forum. They have the same tranny as us, the lab tests proved 100% that if he left the OEM fluid in the tranny...it would be only a matter of time before they failed. Also there is another post on an audi forum that stated (in a letter) that the lifetime fluid was meant as 10 years or 100,000 warr was up. Thats why they consider as lifetime, This was a letter for an A6 with the same ZF tranny as the Passat.

I know you don't trust my POV at times, but if you really want to keep your car for a long time...change the ATF out. I am going with the maxlife, but Judd wasn't to get 9 Quarts of Amsoil ATF (works with the dodge) and you could hop on a big buy with him. I am going to flush this stuff out for I think the Mobil 1 isn't working well with the TIP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts