Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with speedometer lights not working. 0 to 60 is out, 60 to 160 is fine. Are there bulbs in the cluster that can be changed? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I believe with the green instrument panel, there are bulbs. With the blue, they are all LED's, IIRC, and not easily replacable. From the description, it sounds like a bad board trace. If you were feeling adventureous and you or a friend are good with a soldering iron, you could crack open the panel and attempt a repair.

SirWired

·
Registered
649 Posts
^^^ X2, pretty sure they are LEDs... If worse came to worse you could always hit up a junker but would would have to set the mileage again IIRC... Can a vag-com do this?

·
Registered
406 Posts
^^^ X2, pretty sure they are LEDs... If worse came to worse you could always hit up a junker but would would have to set the mileage again IIRC... Can a vag-com do this?
You can only set the mileage on a new cluster within the first 200 kilometers or so. After that it locks out any changes. Then I believe you would have to deal with recoding all your keys and unless you have you Secret Key Code (SKC) VAG-COM can't help you.

I'm also curious about lamp or led replacement in clusters. My imobilizer light and cruise control lights don't work

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Any light can be replaced, it just depends on how skillful you are with opening the instrument cluster. VW says that the blue clusters are sealed, but a bit of work will get them open. After that, you have to un-solder the old LEDs and re-solder new ones. It's a pain in the ass, but it's still cheaper than a new cluster.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Could it be something as simple as fuse?
/Just throwing it out
//Car wants to go faster, the unlit area is the "no-zone"

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
could be a few things.
1) LED lights do NOT go out for no reason. high voltage fry's them, proposing a power surge.
2) something went *PIPF* under the dash.

if it was a fuse, that would imply that the entire LED light of that panel would be offline in hat case. you don't have one fuse for every LED in your passat, or any car for that matter :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lights are blue. Where would one get replacement LED's? I haven't found reference to them on this site. It's a pretty minor problem, but it looks so crappy when their out.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
You can get replacement LEDs from any decent electronics supply house... Jameco, Digi-Key are two common ones used by electronics hobbyists. However, since you had a contiguous row of them go out, and not all of them, my money is on a bad board trace, not defective LEDs.

SirWired

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
a board trace, he means, is the tracks along which you see on a computer board. all those litle lines, you know.
and the board he refers to is a nothing more than a computer board that the dash meters all plug into, and are controlled by.
some call em traces, some call em...other things (lack of better word)
but it's just as SirWired said.
if one goes out, ok. no big deal. if more than one go out in a row... ten ok, something's up with the board theyre connected to.

you are pardoned :p
you're still learning, so i'l let this one slide :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts