Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying one of these. I think it goes really well with the OEM grille, and its not as costly as buying a votex kit which looks ridiculous unless you get the whole thing IMHO. My questions are...

How high quality is this thing? Is it a cheap POS thats gonna fall off and break apart/scratch/crack in the cold etc or is it durable and lasting? (assume I do take care of my car)

What is it made of?

How is it attached? From what I've read it goes over the black plastic lowers of the car, but I don't really understand how. Does it clip on? I think I read "double sided tape" somewhere and that sounds really sketchy (couldn't it just fall off?). This is one of my biggest concerns.

Can I paint it myself?

Who the heck is Zender?

Thanks in advance for answering my obnoxious requests!

-Wapptor

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Wapptor said:
I'm looking at buying one of these. I think it goes really well with the OEM grille, and its not as costly as buying a votex kit which looks ridiculous unless you get the whole thing IMHO. My questions are...

How high quality is this thing? Is it a cheap POS thats gonna fall off and break apart/scratch/crack in the cold etc or is it durable and lasting? (assume I do take care of my car)

What is it made of?

How is it attached? From what I've read it goes over the black plastic lowers of the car, but I don't really understand how. Does it clip on? I think I read "double sided tape" somewhere and that sounds really sketchy (couldn't it just fall off?). This is one of my biggest concerns.

Can I paint it myself?

Who the heck is Zender?

Thanks in advance for answering my obnoxious requests!

-Wapptor
Not a cheap POS. It's held up quite well this past winter, I can't complain. Won't crack/break apart/ unless you drive the thing into a wall. Even then the zender willl probably hold up better than the rest of whatever you destroy.

Made of polyurethane

Double sided tape or the black goo that is supplied with it. The black goo works...PERMANENTLY. Also 3M double sided automotive tape is the shit. If the adhesive areas are properly cleaned, they'll stick for A LONG time.

Essentially what you do is pull out the horizontal slats that cover the left and right fog lights and the zender will "go over" that area. It doesn't clip on, but it essentially "wraps" around the lower front end, thus the apron. It's a real good fit, better than the votex rear valence.

You could paint it yourself, but I'd just take it to a body shop to have an OEM paint job.

Who's zender? who knows...they're a tuner company out of germany www.zender.de

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice response in under 10 minuntes woohoo. Julian your car is hot and one of the reasons I've looked at this piece! So you're saying I have to remove the foglight valances and put this over it? And would you use the "goo" or the tape (which I buy where?). I suppose the dealer could/might paint it?

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
and "reputable body shop" should be able to paint the piece for a 100 bucks, maybe even less.

And yeah, essentially the zender would replace the foglight valences.

I used the tape, but i'll admit, i'm a slackass at prepping, so i didn't alcohol swab the attachment areas very well. I will probably pull the whole thing this month and do it with the black glue.

The 3M automotive tape you can buy at your local autozone/pep boys or in the automotive section at walmart. :)

Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your welcome, even my friends who saw a pic of the car on my computer (and they don't even like cars/passats) were like "whoa! what is that!?" so congratulations. Thanks for your tips, its often easier to talk on AIM if you use it, my screenname is Wapptor (surprise surprise). And I'm willing to bet you'll read this post.

Thanks
-Wapptor

·
Registered
23 Posts
Julian nice ride. A Little off the topic, but I noticed your exhaust tips, are they added to the stock pipes or did you replace your muffler? I am looking for just tips to put on (if that is at all practical) my 1.8T 4 motion. I just have the two stubby pipes that you can hardly notice (good thing) now.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Thanks steck. Those aren't tips, they are the Supersprint left and right mufflers.

If you're just looking for tips, it would just be all aesthetics. I would recommend sending a pm to jesstzn. She put a set of tips on her 4 motion and it looks great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts