Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 1437 Posts

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
While I did not buy it, my son picked up a very nice engagement ring for his now fiance! They are headed off to go climb Half-Dome next weekend.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
It's been an expensive retirement so far. Bought another 9 holes in the ground in January to finish (I hope) the foundation. Now just signed a contract for new windows, doors and siding. Likely to get a new roof after hail damage last week. Will share 1/2 cost of the neighbor's fence that was knocked down by the 80mph winds during our 2nd storm this week. I am hoping for good returns on the stock market so the 401K does not get depleted before I am eligible for Social Security.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
And it gets worse. Woke up to a warm fridge today, at least the freezer section is cold. Since it's likely 15 years old, we will be getting a new one.

Insurance adjuster was out for the roof. It will also get replaced. Hopefully this spending spree ends soon.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Had this delivered a few days after the fridge died. It's massive, but we we usually buy meat in bulk and freeze it.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-28-4-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Black-Stainless/1000236847

I also ordered an H7 LED conversion kit for the Tiguan, they are made to use the halogen reflectors. I could not stand going back to regular headlights after running HID in the Passat.
https://www.headlightexperts.com/catalog/product/view/id/405/s/low-beam-h7-single-beam-led-technology-kit/category/2/

Lastly (for now), I ordered BC Racing coilovers for the Tiguan. With 3 adults and 500+ lbs of luggage on our next trip, lowering springs would not be enough as they tend to be too soft to haul weight.
https://store.bcracingusa.com/products/2018-vw-tiguan

Of course, I am still waiting on the Tiguan. Eventually I will need to upgrade to the Euro version sliding and height adjustable armrest, maybe before the trip. The current armrest is fixed position only.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Had this delivered a few days after the fridge died. It's massive, but we we usually buy meat in bulk and freeze it.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-28-4-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Black-Stainless/1000236847
I can't wait to get back into a house so I can do that again. I have a chest freezer big enough to hold 800lbs of meat. I used to buy meat 1/2 side at a time.
The last side of beef I bought was 674lbs, after being butchered and packaged I had around 430lbs of meat. All for a total of just over $900. Came out to be $2.15/lb.
Best way to go if your into that kind of thing.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Not even close to a side of beef. Maybe 20lbs of each; beef, pork and chicken. The cook wanted a larger freezer, the cook gets what she wants!

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Picked up the new Tiguan today. It will take a lot of getting used to. I really don't like that new car smell, it's as nasty as that new carpet smell.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Ordered a rear cargo cover for the Tiguan, it's only included on the SEL models. The VW part is available for $300-500 depending on the seller. This one is much cheaper and has a little extra in front to cover the gap to the adjustable 2nd row.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323200789057

Also getting the new windows and doors installed today, such a difference. Much quieter and should significantly reduce heat transfer.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,586 Posts
Finishing the basement, so bought this stuff for HT and general audio. I already have a leftover Speakercraft center channel speaker.

Pioneer - Elite VSXLX503 9.2-Ch receiver
Sony - 65" Class - LED - X950G
Sonance - VP62 Visual Performance 6-1/2" Passive 2-Way In-Wall Speakers (pair)
Sonance - VP82 Visual Performance 8" 3-Way In-Wall Speakers (pair)
(x3) Sonance - MAG6R 6-1/2" 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers
(x2) MartinLogan - DYN600XD DYNAMO 10" 120W subwoofer
Panamax - MR5100 11-Outlet Surge Protector
AudioQuest - SLiP 150' In-Wall Speaker Cable
(x3) AudioQuest - Cinnamon 16'5" 4K Ultra HD In-Wall HDMI Cable - Black/Red

Whew!

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Finishing the basement, so bought this stuff for HT and general audio. I already have a leftover Speakercraft center channel speaker.

Pioneer - Elite VSXLX503 9.2-Ch receiver
Sony - 65" Class - LED - X950G
Sonance - VP62 Visual Performance 6-1/2" Passive 2-Way In-Wall Speakers (pair)
Sonance - VP82 Visual Performance 8" 3-Way In-Wall Speakers (pair)
(x3) Sonance - MAG6R 6-1/2" 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers
(x2) MartinLogan - DYN600XD DYNAMO 10" 120W subwoofer
Panamax - MR5100 11-Outlet Surge Protector
AudioQuest - SLiP 150' In-Wall Speaker Cable
(x3) AudioQuest - Cinnamon 16'5" 4K Ultra HD In-Wall HDMI Cable - Black/Red

Whew!
So when is the PassatWorld member grand debut? :D

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Why the Atlas over a Tiguan or even AllTrack? The Alltrack would make for a great daily if you don't need to haul people and gear. The Tiguan was my 1st new DD since 1986. I don't drive daily anymore, more like once or twice a week.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Some pics of the Tiguan when we picked it up at the dealer. We will keep the Red Golf as well, since it only has about 62K on it.

Drove it 200 miles to Austin a few days ago, CC set at 80, avg speed 69mph, 32.4 mpg. Total for tank at refill was 27mpg, but that was with 180 miles of local driving too.

Helped my son (and his wife) move to a new rental house. Plenty of room for cargo with the rear seats folded down. Now it needs a good cleaning, dog hair all over the back of the seat and cargo area.

Return trip was yesterday in heavy traffic, CC set at 80, but avg was 61mph and we got 34.3mpg. Temps 100-104.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
A pic of the house, new siding and windows a few months ago.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Thanks, I love that it glows bright Orange in the sun. It will look a bit better after I install the coilovers. It will have a 1.5-2" drop. Still enough to take off-road, but easier for my wife to climb in.

1401 - 1420 of 1437 Posts