Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...do you buy your passat for around $13,000 or do you get a new (or slightly used) Audi...or maybe even a GTi.

Next January my 4 year lease will be up on a 2001.5 passat. I really like the car and love the idea of not making payments. But, i'll have around 25,000 dollars car money. What would you do?

1)Keep the Passat, and Mod it some more , and enjoy NO payments
2)buy a new Audi Avant Wagon (make small payments or even buy out in cash)
3)Buy something like a Gti and have money left over to mod it
4)trade the Passat in for a Passat wagon

any thoughts?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Steeler B,

All good options. I guess it would depend on my financial situation for the foreseeable future. The Avant would be enticing but at the same time having some cash in the bank never hurts. Unless you're bored with your car, I'd keep the Passat for a bit longer. Then again, I tend to drive my cars until the wheels fall off before I purchase a new one.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
You lose a lot of money buying a leased car. Dont do that, either return it or get another car.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I got a nice gti I'll sell ya :p

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.

I never knew buying a leased car would be considered a bad idea. But what's the difference between buying a used passat (lets say) versus buying my own car. They're both used and I know the history of my passat.

I could get a new GTi for around 20,000 I think...and what about a , I dunno, 2003 A4 Avant for around 20 -25,000?[/i]

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
With the car markets the way they were 4 years ago vs. how it is today, you might be able to the same car CPO and have a warranty on it for the same as your buyout or less.

If your credit is good I say invest the money, buy a new car at the 0.9% interest and make money on the deal. Get a full warranty and a brand new car.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Guyute said:
If your credit is good I say invest the money, buy a new car at the 0.9% interest and make money on the deal. Get a full warranty and a brand new car.
Heck of a good idea. Unless they are willing to sell you your current Passat at or below book, as opposed to the lease terms, it probably ain't a good idea to stay in it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
natskiboy said:
You lose a lot of money buying a leased car. Dont do that, either return it or get another car.

It depends on how close the residual is to the estimated street value.

You can actually make money buying your car off lease if the residual is less than the going rate of the car on the street. It all depends. I would see what people are trying to get for your car in autotrader and go from there. Occasionally you can negotiate your residual even lower, but it depends on the company. Sometimes you can get them to make the car a CPO vehicle with a longer warranty as well. It's all about negotiating. Unfortunately VW doesn't have to negotiate anything if they don't want to. The upside to buying your car off lease is you know that it's not a lemon and it's not somebody elses nightmare they just dished off on the dealer. That is worth a premium in itself. There is usually a drop off fee included in your lease agreement of a few hundred dollars if you turn the car back in.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'd keep your Passat! With the mods you have on it, you'd probably be losing money if you turned it in. If you still have the stock parts, however, I'd stick them back on and then turn it in. You could sell your aftermarket parts in the classifieds and make a little bit of money, so you could mod your new Audi or 25th Anniversary GTI!!! I would not buy a used car though. Either keep your Passat or get a new ride. There's something to be said for not buying someone else's headache. I've done it, but now that I make some decent money, I'll never buy another used car (unless it's a Porsche 993)!

:b5:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
well, if you need the room, or think you will need it.. get the passat wagon. A passat wagon or something similar will most likely be in my furture. I am going to need the room when kids come along. I would love an A4 Avant, but I dont see that being practical for my future needs. Now, if I could have a Passat wagon and an A4 Avant, that would be a dream come true. :) For now I have to stick with the Passat sedan and A3 Jetta.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Or shop around for a used Audi Allroad 2.7T. That's a nice car...

·
Registered
828 Posts
You will be getting calls from the leasing company two months before your lease expires. They will ask you if you want to buy your car. They will come in very, very high, incase you are a dummy and don't know the value of your car.

Play them out a bit and low ball them. The leasing company would LOVE to sell you your car. The used market is so depressed, especially here in SoCal. You can get a good deal on a lease buy back if you work them.

That said, take your $25K to the Audi dealer and look at their short lease returns on A4 Avants.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
A note on negotiating the residual, from what I was told VW credit will not negotiate buy outs. So if it is through them that is what you are going to pay.

They wouldn't on my Jetta VR6. I wanted it for $1500 less, nope. Went at auction for over $3000 less. Oh well. New 1.8 does me just fine.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
29 Participants
Gurft
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing