Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi... I'm a new memeber and I work at an auto shop... Yesterday they gavee me a 2008 2.0 passat with a "no start" issue... There is gas... There is great spark.. took the timing cover out and set the timing belt exactly the way its supposed to be...
Customer complaint:
Customer had not changed the oil for 5 months..m customer uses regular recycled oil from quick oil change places... The oil light came on... Customer thought it didn't have enough oil so he threw in another quart of conventional oil.. couple hours later the car did not want to turn on... It cranks and sometimes it turns on for a few seconds but then dies out
Important info:
Hooked up a modis and got a p000A camshaft slow response so the camshaft was replaced with no luck..
When the car does turn on for a few seconds smoke comes out of the intake..
Replaced parts:
Spark plugs, camshaft sensor, oil and oil filter (the oil was VERY black)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I find it hard to believe that a person who would not spring for a proper oil change, changes oil beyond the recommended change period, and has throughly abused an automobile will be willing to pay for this repair. The smoke out of the intake suggests a timing belt out of time. You do not mention replacing the camshaft adjustment valve N205. It is a long shot. After many years of running a repair shop I learned to approach these type of estimates cautiously. Most of the time we ended up with the car because of lack of payment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought.. if you have smoke coming up the intake then the timing must be wrong... I check the belt and the timing is perfect... Thank you for responding in such a short notice...
So the logical suggestion would be to replace the camshaft adjustment valve? Do you think that driving with that dirty oil would've damaged it..?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think that adjustment valve is $135. Use good sense before investing too much money into this car. Sludge oil damages can be more comprehensive than you think. You don't know what else is wrong until you get the engine running.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Check the cylinder compression. Oil light can mean low or no oil pressure and you know what happens running an engine without lubrication.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
UPDATE: replaced the Camshaft adjusting valve from the VW dealership... Now it turns on but dies within seconds!.. checked to see if the chain that connects both camshafts together and there was nothing wrong.. everything is where it should be when it comes to timing... I also ran a compression test and the compression is perfect.. I get 175 psi for every cylinder... I have no idea where to look at next... This car is breaking my head...
UPDATE #2 I checked the fuel pressure and the fuel pressure goes from 85-90 and was wondering if that may have something to do with it...

·
Registered
400 Posts
The manual gives the metric spec of: Specified fuel pressure value: 4.0 to 7.0 bar. Make sure the injectors are not gummed up, or not receiving a signal. Then there is starting fluid (Either). Frowned on for safety sake, but a shot into the intake do work. If it runs you have a fuel delivery problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts