Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?p=982138

Mitsubishi is voiding motor and drive train warranties including transmission for any cars that participate in an Sports Car of America (SCCA) event or any other timed event.

It seems that Mitsubishi has set up an automatic web search that looks for registration and results information for any Mitsubishi. They then capture the race results information, match it to vehicle purchase and service records and proactively put the car on "warranty restriction". Those of you with new cars, may want to not list the actual car make or use a screen name.
:nervous:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Yes, it is exactly racing. However, driving really fast at a road course without being timed, though much more dangerous and potentially damaging to the vehicle, is not racing. Interesting how that works..

Anyways, that post sounds like quite the conspiracy theory. But you can hardly fault manufacturers for not honoring warranties on cars that are used in competition. Especially given this (from that thread):

"Yes and they pointed out to me that any "timed" events are explicitly listed in the warranty and referenced as racing. Racing is considered customer abuse and voids the warranty."

·
Registered
216 Posts
VW did this for a while back in the late 90's. They would attend larger SCCA events, write down VIN numbers of the cars, and void the owners warranty. That's why you probably saw so many cars sitting around the grid areas with the exposed VIN's covered. I know I hid mine.

Abe

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
All they are doing is enforcing the existing warranty rules. Most, if not all, auto manufactrers say somewhere int he warranty documentation that racing voids the warranty. You wanna play? Gotta pay. That's why I only race cars that are out of warranty (like the FD)...

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
They give it to you when you buy a WRX, too, but that doesn't mean you have to go racing. Strange that no one assumes you can start running SCCA ProRally events (which is also not wheel-to-wheel) your car as much as you want and have Subaru pay your support bills. It comes down to perception of risk at autox being low.

You'd think people would appreciate that Subaru supports racing and the SCCA as much as they do.. but nope, bunch of whining from people who want a free ride... :p

"Crap.. hope the warranty covers this"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.