Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm about to get chipped and Santa(UPS guy) shows up today with my new 710N diverter valve. I decide to go ahead and put it in before the chip and see if I notice any performance simply from the new DV. Stupid one time use clamp was a #%#$ to get off, but I eventually got it installed and all I can say is WOW!!! My old one looked like it was in pretty good shape, but it obviously wasn't. I took it out for a test and it was SO much more responsive, it got up into hi revs quickly and the surging was GONE!!! So, if you have an older passat like mine(99) and haven't changed the DV yet, do it!!! It's the best 30 bucks I've spent on that car. If all goes well, I'm gonna crap my pants when my chip gets here in a couple days.

Jonathan

·
Registered
90 Posts
yeah i just got my car chipped and i think i'm going to pick up a TT valve from my nearby VW dealership. i have a 99 as well and changing that valve will b a good idea, the upgraded valve is alot stronger than that darn plastic one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK, at risk of being a stupid englishman... :weirdo:

What's a diverter valve?
What's wrong with the factory fitted one?
Why should I change mine?

Guidance please! :wink:

(2000 B5 1.8T Tip)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
#include hitthesearchbutton.h

Now that that's out of the way, welcome to ClubB5, bulletcom.

The diverter valver is technically known inside your VW service department as the boost pressure check valve. The factory piece on your 2000, if it's the same as the American car, is good for the amount of boost pressure produced by the stock turbo under most normal conditions. It is plastic with a rubber diaphragm and a none too sturdy spring inside that, over time, some portion of will waer and fail. This is a bad thing because it acts as a balancing agent between the intake and exhaust circuits of the engine's aspiration systems. Chip-tuning a car amplifies both the amount of boost and the time over which boost is applied which hastens the failure of the poor little check valve.

jjasper13 replaced his with that of an Audi TT which is a popular, inexpensive upgrade to another plastic/rubber bit with a stiffer spring that can "hold" more boost pressure. It is a complimentary upgrade to chip-tuning and, as we've just seen, a pretty nice mod for the original software too.

MisterTam wrote an excellent comparison of the variety of diverter valves available for our engines... you'll be surprised at what his conclusions were about the more expensive bits. http://dv.mistertam.com/

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just for the record, its not automatic that you need a new one. I have a '99 with 68,000. I don't have surging, but I do have slow 0-60 mph times - 10.5 seconds in Tip mode (meaning I only have the 1-2 shift before I hit 60). I think I should be under 10 sec, but never have been, even when loading it up to 2000 rpm before letting off the brake.

Since it is cheap and easy, I replaced my DV. No improvement. I'm not sorry I did, but if someone has no symptoms and isn't getting chipped, I would wait.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:bow: Thanks!

FWIW I did try a search but it seemed everyone was talking about changing it, looking at it, modifying it and probably painting it or eating it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But not what it actually was or does! :p

That's why I ran the risk of being dubbed stoopid... but I guess that's why I'm here!

So where does 'one' actually find 'ones' diverter valve?

How easy to change?

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK, found it on the Forge Motorsport website. I'm thinking of getting my car chipped - looks like it's a recommended 'upgrade' when you do...

Thanks again - sorry to hog the post...

David 8)

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I read the tutorial but still am not sure about which dv I should get for my stock 99. I am not planning on getting chipped in the near future, so should which would be the best and should I put it in normal or reversed? Thanx.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts