Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2001.5 GLX 4Motion with 57k - had vehicle in for the 60k service about a month ago.

A week ago, I noticed the engine light was on. Shortly after, I pulled into a 7-11, turned car off...got back in and light was gone. Couple days later, the EPC and/or engine light would come on. One would be on, the other wouldn't...or both would be on.

Called VW service and scheduled visit - had to cancel because of last minute trip. Got back and was still getting it and called to reschedule appt. I talked to srvc mgr to see if car would be OK to drive. He said as long as EPC was not flashing it would be fine.

Couple days after that, EPC would come one when accelerating swiftly (like an on ramp) from medium speeds and could not get real acceleration. Would take a fair amount of time to get to 60 mph or so.

Anoter day goes by and now I can't get the vehicle past 10 mph or 1500 rpm no matter how much gas I gave it. I would restart the car and it would be ok for the ride home.

Finally, now the engine in idle sounds like S**T. It jumps from 1700-2000 rpms in P or N. When in idle the whole damn thing shakes. Jumps down to "normal" rpms when put in gear but sounds crappy. In D can not get it past 1500 rpm.

Now I can not make the 20 mile trip to the dealer on the highway and I am even afraid to get in it - don't want a quick burst in rpms on the road.

Anyway I am having it towed end of the week.

I will open it to the experts....you make the call...what is wrong with this POS and how much will it cost me. At $90/hr for labor I don't think it will be pretty.

I will advise as things go.....let's see who can get close.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about the coil packs but it seemed a bit much to me for all of that to go wrong.....another other ideas....short to ground! I like that

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
atomicalex said:
I'm going with failing throttle position sensor and an intermittent short to ground.

Yeah, I know, I always go with short to ground. ;)
I'd agree. Given that the EPC light is also on, a ground fault is like betting big on a straight flush...

Also, if you didn't know, the EPC light is specific to electrical/computer management problems, so there is most likely no real engine problem (from a costly mechanical standpoint) even though it's running so poorly... but it could be a costly electrical fix :lol: sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts