Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to say that you guys on CB5 are the greatest!

Short version:

Wife comes home. Says "my car isn't running right, can you look at it?" ('99 Passat 1.8T). I go out to check. Car is missing; bucking; sick, sweet smell from exhaust. CEL blinking (bad news).

Sounds like coil packs. Search the forum . . . nope, this doesn't affect '99's. Search a little more. Looks like the ICM. Search a little more, there's the test method to determine if the ICM is good or if it's shot. Check it out - ICM shot. Search a little more . . . locations listed to mail order for about $150.

In about 10 minutes of looking on this site, you guys saved us about $450!

Just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone who keeps posting, and helps those of us who experience (thankfully, infrequent) problems.

You guys are the greatest!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Search may return some posts that are slightly off-topic from the search terms requested, but it still seemed to work pretty well in my case.

I had to search multiple times to finally come to an answer, but in the end I can't knock the search function - it worked for me. One simply has to be patient and persistant enough to dig through the BS to find the gems!

Once again, thanks to all here for the great info! :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Awww, shucks it was nothing :oops:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm sure nothing that i posted helped you solve this problem... but i agree that the people on this club with knowledgable posts are the greatest :thumbup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Agreed

I would accept accolades also, but I have no idea what "ICM" is. Yes, I went and search and found ICM...but what is it? :???:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Agreed

rwaller71 said:
I would accept accolades also, but I have no idea what "ICM" is. Yes, I went and search and found ICM...but what is it? :???:
It is $124.95 from busdepot.com.

Don't know exactly what it does, but it does seem to be necessary for the car to run :suspicio:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.