Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I took my car to VW workshop to install new shocks and springs ( koni shocks & H&R springs). I told them to leave the rear full soft and front 1/2 turn.

I went today to check first thing i've noticed the car infront was lower than rear.
They told me the shocks are not adjustable becuase when they turn it they didnt feel any diffrence soft or firm weather if they turn it one turn or 3, it keeps turning to no end and there is no begining or end point so they just installed the shocks. Also in the instruction paper it shows diffrent shocks which can be opened from the middle and put something in between but the shocks cant be open from the middle.I had big arguement with them regarding this.

Can anyone who installed Koni shocks tell me how to adjust the shocks to firm and soft and how can i know if the shocks if it's in soft or firm. Unless i got wrong part please let me know.

your help will be appreciated :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sounds like they screwed up. You have to push operating rod all the way in and then rotate it whilst holding it all the way in. Effectively the operating rod is the screwdriver that adjusts the valve way down inside the shock. Easy to try again on the rears, hard work on the fronts.

They should have called you.

Ride hight isn't affected by the damper setting.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts

Fully compress the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (anti-clockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjusting nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly (fig. 1).
NOTE: Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and this must be removed prior to adjusting. Don’t forget to re-install.

Keeping the shock absorber compressed make 1 full turn (360°) to the right (clockwise). The total range is about 5 half turns (fig. 2).

Extend the shock absorber vertically for at least 1 cm without turning in order to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

WARNING: Adjust both left and right dampers identically. Failure to do so may lead to unstable handling and uneven tyre tread wear.
http://www.koni.com/_cars/_general_info/install_manuals/adjustment.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Guys :bow: ,thats clear enough to print out and take it to VW.
Now i can tell them to remove it again and adjust it to 1/2 turn before i pick up the car :thumbup:

Thanks alot :bow:

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
Be sure they used the Koni perch plate (should have come with the shock) instead of the stock plate. The stock plate will lower the front 1/2"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.