Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of the AVSES100's (245/40/R18) and last summer I put on @8000mi, without rotation (long story)....this summer I put the backs on the front and the fronts on the back. The noise was almost unbearable. So I rotated the tires back to the same position they were last summer and the noise went away. The front tires are worn on the inside....not bare...but considerably more than the rest of the tire. The rears are cupped on the inside (the reason I think for the noise). Is this a normal wear condition for a 1.5" - 2" drop. Or am I in need of an alignment? No pulling or any abnormal wear...

Help!

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
The rear tires cupping is normal on the Passats. This happens when the car is lowered. I have the AVS ES100's as well and try to rotate them just about every oil change, or in my case recently, rotate after every autocross event. I have them in 18's and have about a 2.25" drop with the KW's. The noise will eventually go away when the rear tires wear to the front pattern on the car. Not a big deal. Rotate them back to save the life of the tires and you should be fine. Granted, the noise the 1st week will be bad, but the noise will decrease after a few days.

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
stevo- cupping = outer edges of tire wearing faster? and yes, tires should be rotated every oil change for best wear. unfun if you dont have a lift, but there is a price to pay for performance.

onyx- did u have an alignment done after lowering? i would highly reccomend having this done. besides that, how do you like the es100's?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update - The cupping is on the inside edge of the rear tires... (I guess typical of the neg camber) it looks like (_--_--_) tread is high, then low repeating. I rotated tires back to original position...although they will wear unevenly...I cannot stand the 1hr drive to work. I am looking into replacing 2 of them soon. Last year when I put them on, I loved them...no complaints - this year...just the noise. Alignment was done after lowering, but without the BBS's. Shocks are billstein, and if that were true, I would think only one side would have it...not both. Keep you posted.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,673 Posts
onyx1.8T said:
I have a set of the AVSES100's (245/40/R18) and last summer I put on @8000mi, without rotation (long story)....this summer I put the backs on the front and the fronts on the back. The noise was almost unbearable. So I rotated the tires back to the same position they were last summer and the noise went away. The front tires are worn on the inside....not bare...but considerably more than the rest of the tire. The rears are cupped on the inside (the reason I think for the noise). Is this a normal wear condition for a 1.5" - 2" drop. Or am I in need of an alignment? No pulling or any abnormal wear...

Help!
I've had the same problem with my 225/45/17s. :cry: I'm really tired of all the noise and vibration. They only have about 5K miles and I'm ready to chuck them :mad:

I'm ready to try some Kunhos for next summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Tom Parish
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing