Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to replace the Avon Tech M550 A/S on my 2000 B5 (size 225-45/17). Although I only have about 15K on the Avons, they are getting increasingly loud on the highway (where I do most of my driving), to the point where I have to replace them with something quieter.

I'm looking for an all-season tire that offers a quite highway ride and that handles reasonably well in dry and wet conditions; performance category is not important. After researching the Tire Rack, I have it narrowed down to either the Yokohama AVID H4S or the Continental ContiProContact, both of which are rated fairly highly in their respective categories and both of which are in my price range.

Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had the Yoko H4s's and they were excellent in all conditions they encountered and rode superb. I couldn't say how well they handled heavy snow because I used snow tires in the winter, otherwise the Yoko's stood out in all other road/highway conditions.... Compared to other tires I've had (Pirelli p7000, Kumho ecsta, dunlops, Yoko avs100) they are my favorite. I plan to buy another set in the spring....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the Yoko H4s's and they were excellent in all conditions they encountered and rode superb. I couldn't say how well they handled heavy snow because I used snow tires in the winter, otherwise the Yoko's stood out in all other road/highway conditions.... Compared to other tires I've had (Pirelli p7000, Kumho ecsta, dunlops, Yoko avs100) they are my favorite. I plan to buy another set in the spring....
What size do you have? I'm hoping to find someone who's had experience with these in size 225/45-17.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had the Extreme Contacts (225-40-18) on my 01 325i & loved them. I was stationed in DC at the time and they were pretty quiet and handled like a champ. I know these aren't the same as what you asked, but I was pleased with the Conti's...enough to look into them when I get some new shoes for my B5.5.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the Avid V4s and love them -- super quiet, super handling, and my 4motion system has yet to destroy them (unlike the Falken Ziex I had last time, or the Michelins before them).

The Avids were a value as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Potenza G009

Just purchased - Great Looking tire - at this point my hopes are high.
Came close to the Avid H4s but load rating seemed a little low. Been running Bridgestone Truanza LS-H with excellent all around performance - switched to the G 009 due to price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd resurrect it to get some feedback on the H4s-es. Planning on installing them this week in the 225-45 17.

·
Registered
2000 Passat GLS B5 1.8T FWD wagon
35 Posts
I have the H4S's on my '00 1.8T wagon; coming up on 33k & 3 yrs and they're basically treadless on the inner tread bands, nearly so on the outers, and within 1/32" on the markers. I've kept them aligned, rotated, inflated @ 33-35 psi, I drive ~80% highway miles, and I don't drive or corner that fast (I average around 30 mpg over the years, so you can tell I'm taking it easy for the most part.)

They are quiet and have always felt grippy enough to match the "sporty" handling of the stock wagon (to whatever degree you could say a wagon is sporty), but it doesn't seem right that a tire with a 60k tread warranty would be used up at 30k. So I'm on the fence about getting a new set of the same - guess it depends if the "warranty" protects me to any degree against this premature tread wear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts