Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm at my wits end and need some input. I have what sounds like a bad wheel bearing. It's so loud at freeway speeds it's unbelievable. It sounds exactly like I'm running truck (mud) tires, but I'm not. I have Yokohama S drives 225/45/17. They are about 75% worn. One day the noise just appeared. I was convinced it was a bearing failure so I replaced both front wheel bearings and the right rear bearing to no avail. Is it possible these tires have become this loud? Everything looks fine with them. This has been going on for 6 months. Thanks

1999 1.8T FWD

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to clarify, I didn't think they were noisy at all for the first 20,000 miles. Suddenly they got much louder. There is for sure something wrong, but wheel bearings don't seem to be the problem and I'm all out of ideas.

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,016 Posts
Just to clarify, I didn't think they were noisy at all for the first 20,000 miles. Suddenly they got much louder. There is for sure something wrong, but wheel bearings don't seem to be the problem and I'm all out of ideas.
tires do get louder as they wear, maybe it's time to replace them. Have you check to make sure you have no bubbles or anything?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had the Yokos on my last car. Amazingly quiet for the first 23KM.
Then ---- someone turned up the volume. I too thought wheel bearings. It sounded worse than a pickup with 22 inch knobys. There was still plenty of rubber left. I have scratched them from my tire list.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I, too am at wits end. I have no idea why, but here's what's up: Installed a year ago (roughly), rotated after approx 3k miles without issue. Rotated 5k later in October, and the tires in the front suddenly roared like OP said, knobby mud tires. I lived with it, then 5k miles later had them flipped (since they're directional tires, they were dismounted, mounted on the opposite side to change wear) and the noise level went down a bit. I just rotated 3k miles later (last week), and the front is roaring again. For some reason, when the tires in the rear are brought to the front, the front tires just make this awful roaring sound. Is it possible these tires in 225/45/17 are just slightly wider than other brands in the same size and wear the inside treads a little unevenly as a result? I know the rear has some negative camber, but not that damn much, and I run the rear at 44psi to help compensate for that.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Keith, what size are you running? I'm wondering if I could have better luck with a different brand in the same size. Like something with a smaller contact patch. I know not all 225/45/17 tires are the same. I know manefresh2089 is running Kumho Ecsta LX Plats on his, but in 18" and hasn't had any noise issues that I have. I also saw Nitto NeoGen is good for cars with more negative camber or lowered since the inside tread of the tires is thicker or more reinforced. Could be something to look into.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Okay, so I'm finally home and Yoko will give 50% credit toward new tire purchase. The manager at my store is recommending something non-directional so I can rotate all 4 corners and will honor the credit on any tire, any brand. Awesome, now which brand/tire? Decisions decisions. They have the Conti Extreme DWS in stock for a change, and I thought about this one last year. I know this is off topic, but suggestions?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Got new Conti DWS installed last night, and wow what a difference! I know these tires haven't gotten any miles yet, and only the next 5k miles or so will tell, but I'm no longer having to scream in the cabin to hear myself, and my wife I know will appreciate no more tire noise. I thought she'd be pissed I bought another new set of tires after 17k miles, but she admitted last night the sound was deafening. My sh!t in the car doesn't rattle and vibrate anymore either! The tires seem soft and ride well. They don't have the grab of the S.drives, but I never push the car anywhere anyways, so I prefer the quiet, comfy ride. Less rolling resistance and a couple pounds lighter per tire should be nice as well.

EDIT: on another note, I think if my wheels were 17x8 rather than 17x7.5 the 225/45/17 would have worked out better. It seems Yokohama's contact patch/section width is a little more than others. The same size on this Conti is not quite as wide, a little bit light and I think I should get better wear out of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.