Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my car today and found a lot of little tree sap drops on my paint!! It must have happened Friday too. Anyway I guess now is as good a time as any to clay the car for the first time (only 6mo old), but I was wondering if I should look for a particular one? I'm looking for ones in stores since I want to get rid of this before too long, so I should go to a retail outlet like PepBoys (or even Kmart, I saw they sell Meguiars)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found from other threads and autopia and still have questions, sorry I'm so new at the detailing ... all I've done in the past is wash.

1) do you wash before claying, or after, or both?
2) why do some people say to use Dawn?
3) Is there anything different about the polish application than wax, or is it just a different compound?
4) Do i have to wait a certain amount of time after polishing to wax?
5) What is the "best" polish for a hand application?
6) What is the better wax, liquid or compound?

Jeez I feel like such a n00b w/ all these basic detailing questions. I don't even know how many applicators and buffing towels to get while out!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
1. Yes, wash befor claying to remove excess dirt but it is not necessary
2.Dawn strips wax from your car (good if you want to remove old wax)
3.Polish contains abrasives that removes scratches and other imperfections. Wax seals the paint and covers up swirl marks and light flaws
4.No
5.Too many choices, plus I dont want to start a thread war :roll: Just look here http://www.carreview.com/pscParts/Car,Care/Car,Waxes,&,Polish/PLS_2906crx.aspx
6.I personally use Mothers California Gold wax compound but I would think that the liquid would be easier to spread unless you dont mind the tricep workout
:thumbup:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
gig103 said:
I found from other threads and autopia and still have questions, sorry I'm so new at the detailing ... all I've done in the past is wash.

1) do you wash before claying, or after, or both?
Always wash before claying otherwise your picking up more grit that lends to the possibility of scratching.
2) why do some people say to use Dawn?
also removes oils and greases from the paint along with old wax.
3) Is there anything different about the polish application than wax, or is it just a different compound?
If you have a dark car and see minor swirling you might want to look at using Meguiars ScratchX prior to your waxing.

4) Do i have to wait a certain amount of time after polishing to wax?
no
5) What is the "best" polish for a hand application?
Megs #9 or ScratchX
6) What is the better wax, liquid or compound?
Nowdays most pastes are nearly as easy on easy off as liquids. The pastes have less solvents so the aren't as prone to removing the oils and fillers in SMR's and glazes. One liquid I do use a lot of is Meguiars NXT Tech Wax as it is a polymer and also has swirl filling capabilities.
Jeez I feel like such a n00b w/ all these basic detailing questions. I don't even know how many applicators and buffing towels to get while out!
Go down to Walmart and get a couple of foam applicators and a couple of packages if thier 5/$4.97 Microfibre towels for removal. These towels aren't the greatest but are far better than most things noobies use. Tear off the towel lables and when dirty just wash them *by themselves* in the washer using dish soap and no fabric softener.
Here is a Jetta I did
1) Dawn wash
2) Clay bar
3) Megs #82 SFP
4) Meguiars NXT Wax

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.