Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm trying to finalize my plans for upgrading the suspension on my '04 1.8T 4Motion. I related some of my research and asked some questions in this post:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204012

The help I've received so far has been great, but I'm a pretty conservative guy, so I want to make sure that what I go with will work for me. :p

I've since decided that I'm going to go with the Bilstein Sports - specifically part numbers:

BE5-6511-H0 - Rear (A6 AWD part #)
BE5-6512-H0 - Front (any Passat past '98 / '99 I think)

Bimmerparts has good prices for the shocks, and by not getting Konis, I won't be constantly second-guessing myself about adjusting ride firmness! :rolleyes:

As I noted in my previous post, the only springs I have found so far that list part numbers specifically for the 1.8T 4Mo is: H&R Sports # 29795-1.

To be honest, I'm a little concerned about the amount of drop and possible stiffness as related in a number of threads I have read. I know they'll be a little more compliant since I have a 4Mo (extra weight), but I'm concerned about the drop. From my reading, it seems the H&R OE Sports would be closer to what I would like.

I think I see three options - using the Bilsteins as the foundation - and would like to ask for input.

1) Just bite the bullet and go with the Bilsteins and H&R Sports.

2) Go with the H&R Sports and get the ECS Tuning "coilover kit" which I understand would enable me to adjust the height of the ride.

2) Or, go with other springs - does anyone know of specific part numbers for other springs that would not be as aggressive as the H&R Sports?

Are there other options - besides "real" coilovers (which I can't afford)? I've also read about grooved Bilsteins - and it appears they can be height adjusted. If I buy the Bilstein Sports be they be grooved?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Any reason why you are using the wrong Bilstein shocks for your application?

Rochacha, have you ever considered going with VW's 1BE suspension? Please do a search on 1BE suspensions, and it's amazing that you didn't do a search to find other threads with 1.8T 4Motion owners addressing the exact same issue! Give Ritchie in the parts department at AutoBarnVW a call at 847-392-6300 and ask him about finding 1BE European suspension components for your 1.8T 4Motion. No need for a whole bunch drama and headaches when dropping your ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts