Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There'a already enough of these floating around these forums, so one more wouldn't hurt.

The reason for this thread is simple; i'd like to know exactly what the general opinion is regarding using a Purolator oil filter (L40316) vs an OE Mann filter.

Seems like this type of topic often brings heated debate, and I'd like to see some facts as to why you, the reader, specifically chose one over the other.

I'm not interested in hearing about the Wix or Napa filters. I also don't care about the Bosch, Fram, or K&N filters.

I'd like to know your thoughts backed by some data in regards to the Purolator and OE Mann filters.

Objectivity and data are welcome and highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Johnny B5.5 said:
OE Mann is better than Purolator IMHO.

Gee, thanks for your opinion.

but the question is... WHY?

Care to share the information that made you come to this conclusion?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont know exactly what's going on here, but the filters say they're made in germany, have german writing on them, and have the Mann stamp on them.

but they came in the purolator box.

so i don't think the OE filter is better... i think they're the same.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i use the purolator with that microfilter deal from pepboys, along with castrol syntech full synthetic 5-50 oil. wich is the same filter type that i use on my 91 acura(wich has 235k miles), and im happy. i agree with geret, any filter will do, as long as you change the oil regularly. and use good oil. buy the one one that is going to make u happy.

as far as getting scientific: its only going to matter what filter u use if u dont plan to change ur oil regularly, & if this is the case, i dont think a filter is the only thing that is going to screw ur car up.

my .02 cents

Alfredo :roll:

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
If you ever take you car to the dealer and the oil is the problem And you have a non-OEM filter on to your car the dealer could void your warranty. This sounds cynical but BMW dealers have done this before.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Tom Parish said:
If you ever take you car to the dealer and the oil is the problem And you have a non-OEM filter on to your car the dealer could void your warranty. This sounds cynical but BMW dealers have done this before.
Let's say that if you use the off spec. such as the over-sized Wix 51333 oil filter in our VW, then dealer might have a case against you. But if you use comparable after market filter, then dealer has no case (VW or BMW).

·
Registered
152 Posts
hey guys....I sell oil filters for a living.

In the business there are a few genuine manufactuers ie. wix, baldwin, donaldson, fram, Mann, luberfiner and a few others. Everybody else re-lables someone elses filters. Even the big boys like wix will often do a re-lable because it is more cost effective to buy the filter from someone else than to re-tool your factory to build it.

The mann filters are a great example. I see wix labled mann filers all the time in my line of work, usually on some "oddball" german car/truck/equipment.

As far as purolator they are a minor player in my nitche...more a consumer /pep boys kind of filter I think than a commercial equipment or "high end" filter. I would suspect that they re-lable a luberfiner or fram or something like that. I could be wrong here but I just dont see purolators in my business.

Here are some things to remember about filters. ALL filters out there meet or exceed OEM specs......

Who supplies the OEMs with filters? LOWEST BIDDER. If you are buying a filter from the dealer you are usually getting the cheapest lowest quality filter out there. (This is not ALWAYS the case)

If you wonder what makes filters different take a can opener or a hack saw to one sometime, The differences are obvious, they all meet OEM specs but there are big differences.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JB said:
As far as purolator they are a minor player in my nitche...more a consumer /pep boys kind of filter I think than a commercial equipment or "high end" filter. I would suspect that they re-lable a luberfiner or fram or something like that. I could be wrong here but I just dont see purolators in my business.

did you happen to look at the pics above?

·
Registered
54 Posts
JB said:
Who supplies the OEMs with filters? LOWEST BIDDER. If you are buying a filter from the dealer you are usually getting the cheapest lowest quality filter out there. (This is not ALWAYS the case)

If you wonder what makes filters different take a can opener or a hack saw to one sometime, The differences are obvious, they all meet OEM specs but there are big differences.
Ok any will do but there are differences - which ones are the better alternatives to the oem?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Tom Parish said:
No this is wrong. It's illegal for them to do this. Look up the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. If they tell you this, they are bluffing. Call their bluff and they will fold.

I took this from http://popular.thewavemedia.com/warranty.html

Is your car still under warranty? Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and the general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer/dealer may NOT require you to have routine oil changes or use any particular brand of oil filter (or any other car part) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge, during the terms of the warranty.

If your car is still covered under the new car warranty and a dealer is telling you that you have to use their name brand filter or your new car warranty will be voided, for example, then you should thank him, and inform him that under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act he now has to provide that oil change and filter for free. It is not true that you have to use the dealer for oil changes, even on a brand new car. If dealers say you are required to use their products or else have your warranty voided, then the work is considered warranty work and must be provided for free. The requirement is to use approved products. In fact, you can do the oil change yourself as long as you use approved products and do the oil changes at the required intervals. If you do them yourself simply keep documentation.

·
Registered
152 Posts
that article is a good synopsis of what the filter business is all about.
I am in the commercial/professional end of the industry and know that most of the stuff you are going to get from the "pep boys" type stores is just relabled cheapo filters.

g2- you asked what a good alternative might be, as the article states wix makes a very good filter. If you cant find it as a wix it is also sold as napa or carquest. I deal primarily in napa filters. Remember that you want the "gold" filter though. The "silver" ones are not the real thing.

Baldwin makes an excelent filter, also known as Hastings. They are big in the commercial/industrial end of things.

Donaldson is the oem filter that you will find in the heavy duty equipment and trucking industry. They are some of the best but you wont find them at your chain stores.

Wix, Napa, Baldwin, Donaldson all have great reputations in the heavy duty filtration markets. If you can find a dealer in your area pick up a case of one of these and dont worry about if your filter is any good.

By the way, for those of you who read the link above about the filter comparo.
I sold luberfiner filters, made by champion labs, for awhile. I had to drop the line because my customers didnt want the inferior quality filters that they put out, just as the author found the filters just werent very good. They worked, they just werent very good.

Champion labs is not to be confused with champion spark plugs. The plugs are made by federal mogul.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.