Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

2003 GLX 4Motion wagon with the ATQ V6

I have a coolant leak. Two pictures are attached. One just shows an overview of the expansion tank, which I think is the leaking part. I'm not sure how long it's been leaking.

The other shows the nipple on the bottom of the tank where the coolant seems to be leaking out. It looks like there should be some sort of hose here to keep coolant from dripping on the wires, but nothing. Is this a place I should expect leaking? If you have any thoughts on a cause, please share. I would appreciate it.

I have new tank on the way and I plan on changing the coolant and reverse flushing the heater core. I splurged on a part from ECS that promises that the magic of vacuum will help purge the cooling system of air when I'm done. Here's a link:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/coolant-refill-air-purge-tool/003466sch01/

Anyone use one of these before?

Thanks,

Bevix

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Greetings!

I splurged on a part from ECS that promises that the magic of vacuum will help purge the cooling system of air when I'm done. Here's a link:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/coolant-refill-air-purge-tool/003466sch01/

Anyone use one of these before?
I have that very tool in my garage, I have used it on numerous cars with flawless results, in my opinion the only way to do a coolant flush or a purge when water pumps are being changed, thermostats etc. 1st use is a little tricky, but once you have it down expect great results. Also great for pressure testing the system and identifying leak locations.

Good luck to you

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
That thing on the bottom of the coolant reservoir is the drain for the over-flow. If it is leaking through there then then a few things could be the culprit.
First, check the overall condition of the coolant reservoir, if it's full of hair line cracks and has old dried coolant residue along those cracks, it's time to replace the coolant reservoir. After so many years of being exposed to the harsh environment under the hood they tend to dry out, crack and leak. They sell brand new ones for like $40 on ECS Tuning.
The other thing to check is the filler neck of the coolant reservoir, (with blue cap removed) on the inside of the filler neck there is either a brass a steel ring that is molded into the plastic. That rings mates with the rubber o-ring on the blue cap and creates the seal that holds back the pressure. If that ring is corroded it will allow coolant to go past the o-ring and leak out the over-flow and look as though you have a leaky system. Also check the condition of the o-ring. Make sure it is soft and not torn.

If all that is in good working order you need to find out if your system is getting over-pressurized which is a whole other topic of possibilities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts