Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've done plenty of searching and read just about every ABS fault related thread here (I think). I'm posting because my symptoms are just slightly different than what I've been seeing others post about. Here's the situation (sorry it's kind of long):

2003 Passat 1.8T 5-speed w/ESP.
- Had drivers side front axle replaced at VW dealership.

- A few months later, the first symptom was ABS and ESP lights coming on the dash together.

- Scanned using VCDS lite and received "00283 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Left (G47) 30-00 - Open or Short to Plus".

- I thought it was too much of a coincidence that I'm getting a DTC on the same wheel that was just worked on. Returned to dealership to diagnose, they claim to have removed the sensor, cleaned it and reinstalled. Code came back during test drive. They suggest replacing the axle again in case of defective sensor ring (tone ring) which is part of the axle. I needed my car so haven't had this done yet (it's scheduled).

Now here is where I think my trouble differs from others... The ABS/ESP lights only come on when the car is NOT in motion. Once they are on, they stay on until I turn the car on and off again. I can drive 200 miles on the highway without stopping and the lights will never come on. When I come to a stop, the lights may or may not appear, but if I'm sitting at a traffic light long enough, they almost always come on. In addition, every once in a while (really not very often), while braking I will hear some ABS pump action on the affected wheel right before the lights come on.

VAGguy recently posted a helpful troubleshooting guide here: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/68-b5-garage/398137-abs-sensor-fault.html#post3394409 that seems to indicate the speed sensors are only evaluated when traveling at or above 60 km/hr for 30 seconds. So I'm not sure how I'm getting this code at 0 mph.

I'm unsure how to proceed. I'd rather not have the axle replaced again if possible. Every time I have work done on the car relating to axles/wheels I seem to end up with additional headaches. I haven't seen the speed sensor myself but the dealership claims it looks fine. I initially suspected that they might have damaged it when they replaced the axle.

Are there any additional diagnostics that I can perform to check this problem out? I just found out I can use VCDS to see the output of the speed sensors, so I will try that. Other threads I've read through indicate that the ABS module itself will need a rebuild/replace. Yet others have suggested that the wiring itself is the culprit. I don't want to run through just changing out everything that can be changed unless that's my only option :mad:.

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update with more info. I hooked up VCDS and monitored display group 01 (wheel speed sensor readings) and I didn't notice anything wrong. All the wheel speeds were accurate, including the front left.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
The code you're getting is "ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Left (G47) 30-00 - Open or Short to Plus". That's the system telling you there is a problem with the electrical circuit that sensor uses. It's sensing an electrical fault. Cleaning the sensor or replacing the tone ring isn't going to help. Seeing as it's an intermittent fault, I'd replace the sensor (which includes the harness) for that wheel and see how it behaves.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you find the tip of the sensor shaved off after removal, hence the fault code appearing shortly after service.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to start with replacing the sensor and harness. Hopefully that does it, if not, are we looking at the ABS module itself? It seemed like most people who needed a replacement or rebuild weren't even able to communicate with the module, though there have been exceptions.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the wiring tested by the dealer with an ohm meter and they tell me that everything checks out between the sensor and the control module. They want to replace the sensor at $450. :moneybag:

Considering I can buy the part for under $50 and the sensor is accessible without a lift I'm going to attempt DIY on this one. One thing that I am not clear about from reading other threads is how to grease the new sensor. I read that caliper grease is recommended, but what parts of the sensor can I safely apply the grease to? Should I use any electrical grease on the harness connector? Any special tools required? It looks like people have used whatever gave them the most leverage, I'm hoping it's not wedged in too tight since I'm assuming the dealer would have just had it in and out.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
After you remove the bolt, gently pry it out working around it with a minus screwdriver.
Thoroughly clean the hole and apply a very thin coating of grease (brake grease or anti-seize) in the hole.
Apply grease to the sides only of the sensor. It is good to apply dielectric grease to the electrical connectors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi guys... I have a similar issue for almost 3 years now... it started when I replaced the front axles.... after a mechanic cleaned the ABS sensors, the ABS/ESP lights are not popping on dashboard. However, I still notice the ABS pump turning on quite often when I break.... especially when I break on a bumpy road....

Recently, I have pulled out the ABS sensors to clean and check them on my own and I have noticed the tip on one of the sensors is pretty much damaged ("shaved")....

So I decided to buy a new one for something like 30$...

The question is, can it be replaced without having to run a VAG diagnostics or something to "calibrate" it? I am not a mechanic so I don´t have any software for this :)

Additionally, is it difficult to replace it? I guess there is just a wire connected to the ABS module going somewhere trough suspension...

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi guys... I have a similar issue for almost 3 years now... it started when I replaced the front axles.... after a mechanic cleaned the ABS sensors, the ABS/ESP lights are not popping on dashboard. However, I still notice the ABS pump turning on quite often when I break.... especially when I break on a bumpy road....

Recently, I have pulled out the ABS sensors to clean and check them out on my own and I have noticed the tip on one of the sensors is pretty much damaged ("shaved")....

So I decided to buy a new one for something like 30$...

The question is, can it be replaced without having to run a VAG diagnostics or something to "calibrate" it? I am not a mechanic so I don´t have any software for this :)

Additionally, is it difficult to replace it? I guess there is just a wire connected to the ABS module going somewhere trough suspension...

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
It doesn't need to be calibrated, but VCDS (VAG-Com) is very useful for diagnosing and testing.

I suggest you get a VCDS (VAG-COM) scanner which is a very useful tool for diagnosing many types of faults.

VCDS-Lite Unregistered (FREE) will read all DTCs in all your scannable modules, and perform some tests and procedures.
You will need the registered version ($99) for some procedures such as TBA etc. For more info on functions Etc.
VCDSCompatibilityCharts.pdf

You can buy an interface like this OBD2 VAG-COM USB Cable Scanner Audi VW, on eBay for about $10.00.
NOTE: I do not recommend this or any particular one, but most seem to work well.
I suggest you DO NOT use the software supplied on CD with the cable, these are old and restricted, and many have Viruses.
(This connects to the OBDII Port in the car, and to a PC or Laptop Etc. running Windows)
Then download the VCDS-Lite, FREE software (or registered software for $99). From: Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite
They also supply interface cables with full versions of VCDS from $249.00.

You can start with VCDS-Lite unreg. If you want more functions upgrade online for $99 to registered. If you still want more functions upgrade to
the full version and Ross Tech cable. Ross Tech have been crediting the $99 Lite registration toward a full version.

Or someone might be willing to scan it for you.
Just enter your zip code and it should give you the closest person and their contact information.

VWVortex.com - Vag-Com Locator searchable map style! Owners pm me your info requested in the thread

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
Jethroo, just replace it. It's easy to do. I had to do it when a bashed the tip replacing an axle. No vancomycin needed for you at all sine you've visually diagnosed the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks a lot guys for your replies... I really appreciate it, since I have already ordered a new sensor, but I was worried whether I can simply replace it...
I have also found some pics showing where the cable goes, I think I could handle that - I´ll post the results later :)

TomVW - I have checked the Ross-Tech link in your post, seems that it could be useful to buy a cable and use at least the VCDS-Lite (unregistred) version, do you think it is enough to identify common issues with ABS, Airbags, etc?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
As stated in post #12, the unregistered version will read all codes in all modules, the registered version will do more.
If you want any further info check post #12, all VCDS info can be found from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hm.. sorry to ask more, TomVW, but what do you think about those OBD2 scanners with bluetooth?

I´ve found something like this:
V1 5 Mini Bluetooth ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Automotive Test Diagnostic Tool UK | eBay

I am not sure whether this might give the same performance, or if it´s just a "china garbage" :) I´ve also found some related diagnostic applicaction for my old Nokia phone called "OBD Auto Doctor" :D

I assume the cable is better solution, but I am just curious about this bluetooth thingie.... do you have some experience with such tool?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In case anyone ends up here, I thought I should post what fixed my situation. After I replaced the front wheel sensor that was throwing the code, my situation did not improve. This lead me to believe that I was, in fact, in the same camp as everyone else so I ended up removing the ABS control module and then sent it out to have the solder joints fixed. Just re-installed it and everything is working now, no more abs codes. Thanks for everyone's advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts