Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try rubbing brake fluid on the headlights, just be careful not to get any on the painted surfaces. I tried this and although you can still see some oxidation, the yellow color is completly gone. Not sure how long it will last until they turn yellow again, but $1.89 for a bottle of brake fluid, you can't beat this cheap DIY'er.
- chris

·
Registered
144 Posts
sirmurdah said:
Try rubbing brake fluid on the headlights, just be careful not to get any on the painted surfaces. I tried this and although you can still see some oxidation, the yellow color is completly gone. Not sure how long it will last until they turn yellow again, but $1.89 for a bottle of brake fluid, you can't beat this cheap DIY'er.
- chris
OK ... I'll bite .... how did you figure this one out ?

Anyone else give this a try ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I bought the car the headlights were yellow and oxidized. So I mentioned this to the dealer and he said " dont worry, when you pick up the car tomorrow I'll have them looking like new." Well, when I picked it up, they did look like new. However, a year later the yellow came back. So I went back to the dealer and asked what exactly he did, as I cannot afford new headlight just yet. He told me, just rub some brake fluid on them, so I did. Low and behold, they look pretty good once again. All the yellow is gone but there is still some slight haziness. Perhaps a follow up with some Meguires Plastix would finish the job, I just haven't gotten around to it yet..sorry for the slow reply.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yoinks, brake fluid? Not the safest thing to be swishing around your car (or having in contact with your skin). A safer approach is wet sanding with 1000 and then 1500 grit sandpaper, followed by a final rub with the Meguiars plastiX stuff. There's a thread on VWVortex that has a full howto on doing this. Too lazy to look it up, but it's out there...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did alot of research before I tried the brake fluid and saw all the posts about wetsanding and then using a rubbing compound.I also tried using just the Meguires Plastix, which didnt work for me, maybe you need to apply the Meguires with an electric buffer for better results. I also didnt want to spend the time/energy wet sanding and buffing crappy OEM headlights which I am going to replace anyway. I just wanted a cheap temporay fix so Im not driving around with nicotine stained lights. So heres what I did in detail: Got some gloves, taped off the painted surface around the headlight just to be safe. Then applied a small amount of brake fluuid to a 100% Terry cloth and applied in a circular motion like the Karate Kid. I did a little area at a time and it took me a whole 10mins to do both lights. Someone else has got to try it! I wouldn't post it on here if it didnt work, just dont get it on any painted surfaces.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone is missing the point...this was only for the yellow...and was just meant to be a cheap/easy/quick/temporary fix if you didn't want to wet sand OEM headlights you will be replacing...and the plastx didnt work nearly as well!
Dont knock it till you try it : )

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
be advised, mag's plastX is NOT a cleaning solution.
from what i've read (of xyro's bottle of the goop) it's seems to be a touch up solution meant to repair the worn out and Oxy'd state of the plastic by basically applying a new coat of plastic.
the reason the brake fluid thing works like that is because it is able to get into all the nooks and micro-crannies of the texture of the lights.

·
Registered
901 Posts
i'd suggest the wet sanding....seriously...i tried the brake fluid and it turned my lights real foggy....the wet sanding is really not hard at all....look at the threads i have posted on cleaning the headlights and all the info is there...and i used meguiars plastic cleaner and polish....loved the outcome for UNDER 15! bucks....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts