Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Maybe this'll help.

https://jalopnik.com/the-pain-and-pleasure-of-briefly-owning-a-used-w12-vw-p-1797035069

While I'll admit this an exquisite car and is compared to the Bentley, hell I even drooled over these when they first announced shipping to the U.S. So did other forum members back in the day.
The car only survived for what, 3 years? Just like the W8, VW made an insane over the top ballsy move to lift their image. But for some reason just couldn't execute properly and make it sell to the people. Just one big FAIL on VW's part.
This may sound hypocritical, I own a 2003 W8 6speed manual sedan. When I saw it for sale, I threw all of my responsibilities aside, a forum member (FamousDan) took his own time to drive 45 miles out of his way to test drive and be my second set of eyes for the decision to buy. I spent 4 years looking at the internet almost daily to find that one W8 that I wanted.
While I'm happy to have the W8 because of the cool factor, reality has set in on what it's really going to take to get that engine up and running like it should.
You've seen my posts in the past, I'm my own worst enemy. If I think something is wrong I'll just yank the whole motor and rebuild it. Problem with that, the W8 is getting older and more rare every year that ticks by.
Parts are getting harder to find and some of the parts have insane price tags on them. What's it going to be like in 10 years?
With all that being said, I can't imagine even a fewer number of cars being sold here in the U.S. than the W8 and trying to find parts. But seeing as I'm a glutton for punishment and I don't have the mental capacity to reason, which in turn keeps me in a state of ignorant bliss and in denial of my own advice to others, I'll be keeping my W8, thank you.

So if your like me, go for it!
If not, slowly back away.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The car only survived for what, 3 years?

Parts are getting harder to find and some of the parts have insane price tags on them. What's it going to be like in 10 years?
I believe the last model year for the Phaeton was 2016, just not in the U.S. VW chose not to continue to sell the model in NA similar to their recent move with the Touareg.

Andreas, concerning the W8 parts, you could always swap in a Chevy small block, then you could do all your online shopping from Jegs and Summit Racing, just sayin'...

On a side note, I would love to have the wheels from the advertised Phaeton, 18" hollow spoke design unique to the model. "Challenge" is the style name.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'd do a yay for $1500. It's running and has good tires. KellyBlue book trade for that car is only around $2000. And having sold a few cars recently, I can yell you the dealerships do not offer anywhere near KBB trade on late model cars. And neither do craigslist people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts