Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the Classifieds, but wanted to show everyone the fruits of our months of labor:

Classified post

These things are bombproof, so if you find yourself having to buy these over and over and are sick of throwing away money on something that is just not up to the task, these are for you.

New Pics!

Thanks!
Winston

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are about the same weight, and maybe a little lighter, I don't have a scale to weigh them for the exact difference.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
luvmyb5 said:
not to rain on your parade, but doesn't carbon fiber break into rubber-piercing shards should you hit something hard enough to break it? :???:
The pan is very impact resistant. If you hit something hard enough to break this pan, you're going to have bigger problems than that.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I guess I didn't think about it like that, I was thinking more along thte lines of speed bumps, etc, that's how I destroyed mine. That looks badass to be hidden underneath the car, if only it were in a more visible place... :lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
luvmyb5 said:
not to rain on your parade, but doesn't carbon fiber break into rubber-piercing shards should you hit something hard enough to break it? :???:
Also, the carbon doesn't really break, it's the resin that would break if anything. However, when combined with the carbon, that is extremely unlikely. I ran over the first pan three times with my car, and the only visible signs were a couple very minor scratches from the pan on the concrete. This is solid stuff. We've used a resin that is semi-flexible to emulate the OEM pan's flex characteristics. Dub, would you say the pan is slightly stiffer than the OEM pan, but not significantly stiffer?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Denver Pat said:
luvmyb5 said:
Also, the carbon doesn't really break, it's the resin that would break if anything. However, when combined with the carbon, that is extremely unlikely. I ran over the first pan three times with my car, and the only visible signs were a couple very minor scratches from the pan on the concrete. This is solid stuff. We've used a resin that is semi-flexible to emulate the OEM pan's flex characteristics. Dub, would you say the pan is slightly stiffer than the OEM pan, but not significantly stiffer?
At the current thickness we have it, it is almost too thick to work with, but I would say they are fairly comperable in stiffness with the resin we are using. It is a night and day difference in strength though. I really wish VW had put a little more thought into this, but if they did that with everything, where would the aftermarket be? ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I inspect graphite epoxy/carbon fiber aircraft panels with through transmission ultrasonic scanning in my daily business. Also use X-Ray or low frequency bond testing. We look for delaminations or porosity in the material. Graphite Epoxy is very light, very strong, not sure about impact toughness, but I will look into it.

What is the layup, (resin type, cloth type)?? Let me know some details and I can ask around with some of the Boeing or other aircraft QC R&D groups.

Bob

·
Registered
176 Posts
All of the mounting points are the exact same. Remember, we used the OEM pan as the mold. You can also retain all of the existing hardware, with the exception of the two mounting points in each wheel well liner. We will ship the extra hardware for that with the pan. It's basically just the four screws with washers. In the end, all OEM mounting points are retained.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rusty said:
Hmmph. I'm waiting for your carbon-fiber toilet seat... :wink: :lol:
Rusty, Rusy, Rusty....you should know better than to take me serious after a few beers and a long day at the track. :lol:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah but how does the butt dyno compare on that with the normal seat?

LOL

The dieselgeek pan is aluminum, which has the impact resistance you would expect from the maleability of metal, and once it gets beat up, it retains the beat up shape. The benefit of resin and CF is that it will go back to its original shape and not have any parts bent where they shouldn't be, i.e. the engine, vaccum hoses, etc...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for pointing that out Dave, I just checked that out. They must have changed their design. They originally were offering an aluminum one for the B5, IIRC.

Theirs is similar to ours, but ours uses carbon fiber, which is a good bit stronger than fiberglass. Although it's more expensive, it is the better way to go for longevity's sake.

That confirms my thoughts on how good of an idea this is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.