Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Yet another oil thread, yes I know -- Search didn't really help this time ;) )

Does anyone have any opinions on Motul 8100 0W-40 E-tech vs Motul 8100 5W-40 X-cess? From what I can tell they're both VW502 certified oils, correct?

Currently I'm running Mobil 1 0W-40.

Any opinions, good or bad, are appreciated.

Edit: oops, thread title should be YAOT not YAOI :banghead:
Edit2: AND WHY DID I POST THIS IN THE NEWBIE FORUM!? :banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There we go, got it moved to the right forum and title changed.

So, anyone use this stuff? I think D.Passat00 used 0W-40 in his B5?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Marshalus, I'm a little leery of using 0W-40 oil in my VW's due to consumption issues. I'll stick to 5W-40 Pentosin, Motul X-Cess or Elf LDX oils... :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've use Motul Etech 8100 0W-40 for past three oil changes. I check oil every week or so and has not consumed any oil.

But I'm basing my opinion using it in a W8, so not sure about the correlation with a 1.8t. It states on the bottle: Specifically designed for powerful and recent cars, diesel direct injection or gasoline engines and catalytic converters.
Recommended for Audi TT and S3 and all W engines from Volkswagen group.
Suitable for leaded or unleaded gasoline, Diesel fuels and LPG.

PERFORMANCE
STANDARDS - ACEA A3 / B3 / B4
APPROVALS API SJ / CF
VW 502 00 / 505 00 / 503.01 - Mercedes Benz 229.3 - Porsche

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Marshalus, I'm a little leery of using 0W-40 oil in my VW's due to consumption issues. I'll stick to 5W-40 Pentosin, Motul X-Cess or Elf LDX oils... :)
The 0-weight only applies while the oil is cold. And besides, hot oil is going to be thinner than cold 0-weight oil anyway. Your issues are moot; if you're having trouble burning oil, you need to get seals replaced, no way around it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run 0W-40 Mobil 1 and have no consumption issues I can see. I check my dipstick regularly and the line is always well in the safe zone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts