Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just checking if anyone has any experience using this diagnostic tool? I am thinking of purchasing it to be diagnosing my car at home.
If this isn't the best can anyone recommend a hand diagnostic tool which can be used without involving a laptop?
Secondly, using the hand diagnostic tools can one print out the results of the diagnosis?

Browsing on the forum I haven't found any info apart from the VCDS software and a Bluetooth adapter which I haven't had much success finding info on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have an XTool but it's a VAG401. It does most or all of what VCDS can do but I find the menus hard to navigate and there obviously isn't the graphical interface that you get on a laptop. If you know exactly what group you want to monitor and what the output means, etc it should work fine.

I've never tried to ouput any results from the diagnoses but IIRC, there is only the serial/OBD11 connector on the VAG401 so I don't see how it could download any information to a PC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a look and it looks quite the tool. It certainly has more functionality than the U281. Did you purchase it from XTOOL Authorized Dealer site? I find myself a bit jittery about buying from sites other than ebay or amazon, but this site offers free shipping to my country and they're charging USD 48 for it. Not sure how legit they are.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I can't remember where I bought it but I don't think you need to worry about it being a fake or clone. It comes from somewhere in China but just about everything does these days and it's not much more than a plastic case around a few chips, plus the firmware of course.

If you use paypal they will usually refund your money if something goes wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts