Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This got out of hand.

It started sunday when I was installing the auto-update to acrobat. Half way throught, the update stated it needed a reboot to continue. I said yes. Upon reboot, I recieved an error message saying that my system32\config\system file was 'bad' (I don't remember the exact error message).

My comp has 3 drives. The main drive, the backup drive and a seperate, not connect emergency boot drive. The main drive and the emergency boot drive run the same exact OS: XP Pro SR2 with all the updates. The emergency drive has no apps installed other then Office XP and the login user/pass is different then the main drive.

I connected the emergency boot drive and found a fix on microsofts site about a fix. The fix did not work. I could however start the main drive in safe mode. I copied the config folder from the emergency drive onto the backup drive. I restarted the comp onto the emergency drive and transfered the config folder to the main drive (I backed up the original files).

Now when I boot the main drive, I get past POST and stop at an Lsass.exe password does not match the info on file error (something very similar to that) and the computer gets into an infinite reboot cycle.

Any ideas?
... please :nervous:

PS: Would fixmbr and fixboot solve this problem?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
if you have an xp cd you can also just run a repair..start a normal xp installation then hit r tho instead of enter somewhere and it will restore all system files.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
V-Dub, it's not the lsass worm, that's lowercase 'l'. Lsass.exe contains the system passwords on XP.

Repair from the XP CD is not like an automatic thing. It's a DOS based command prompt screen. That's what I used to copy over the system file the first time. I don't have an ABR disc and restore point (last known working configuration) only sees Sunday, nothing before. Sigh!

Help.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Honda_to_VW said:
V-Dub, it's not the lsass worm, that's lowercase 'l'. Lsass.exe contains the system passwords on XP.
:hmmm: :poke:

The repair utility is pretty much automatic once you start it. You used the Recovery Console. It's completely different from the repair install.

If you copied a "system file" from the emergency drive to the main drive, and you're getting password related messages when trying to log in, I would guess it's completely hosed at this point.

A verbatim error message would help me help you.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
XP Repair install

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
Do NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this!
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

This was plagiarized from this site.

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
No, it is not related to the Sasser worm. The Sasser worm causes LSASS.EXE to crash, thus causing the system to infinitely reboot.

The problem you are having is caused (typically) by an incorrect entry in the registry or msconfig. Are you experienced with the registry editor at all? I don't want to send you there until I know as you can quickly screw your computer up to the point of no return.

I'm assuming you have Windows XP.

Click Start, choose Run

Type "msconfig" and press Enter

Click the "Startup" tab

Look through the list, primarily focusing on the "Command" column. You're looking for something like two quotes:

""

or:

\c:\autoexec.bat <---the first \ makes this an invalid command.

If you see anything suspicious, just uncheck it, click Ok and Restart. If the problem goes away, you found it. If not, run msconfig again, re-check what you un-checked and try another suspicious entry.

-If you feel comfortable with regedit, let me know and I'll hook ya up with the instructions.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Well, by copying the config folder over that's what messed it up to this point. That folder contains SAM and the registry hives. All the SID's from the other install of XP are not what the main drive's install of XP is expecting.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Honda_to_VW said:
Thanks for everything V-Dub.

I decided to wipe the slate clean and re-install windows.
Good call, I'm happy to help!

harman said:
noob question, but what is wrong with mcafee?
This question will spark a whole other debate. I think the last one went over 4 pages. I personally have used Norton products for 10 years now, and though I use the Corporate Version now on both my home and work networks, still feel confident in their home versions. (But ONLY Norton Anti-virus, NOT Norton Internet Security or the rest of their bundled CRAP.)

My opinion is that nobody has as much experience as Norton does in this arena. Mcafee, in my experience, just doesn't catch everything. And people will say Norton doesn't catch everything. Whatever...you'll never catch everyone in agreement whenever it comes to anything on a PC.

Go with what you're familiar with, and what works for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts