Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go Satellite radio way. Mainly because the radio stations in CT blow, and they're all talk in the morning.

So i have a few questions/needs.

1. I want the receiver to be portable to use in the house? Which receiver would allow that?
2. I want the unit to be integrated with my stock Passat Radio. I don't want the attachment that goes into the tape deck. I want it integrated via RCA jacks or something.
3. Which service is the best?

Estimated cost for device, Adapters need etc would be great.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check out the car audio forum. Anything and everything you want to know about car audio can be found there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I will tell you what I did. My wife had a Sirius head unit in her vehicle, so when we started looking for something for my Passat, we decided to go with Sirius so we got the family user discount. The Kenwood Plug and Play method seemed the best option, since we also are using it with our home stereo. (This is also much cheaper than getting a complete new head unit with Sirius Tuner.)
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1054061001361

Since there was really no good place to mount it due to it's size anywhere in the DIN or on the dash, we decided to mount in, of all places, the glove compartment. We figured that would be ok since the unit is only in my car about 1/3 of the time. We had take the glove compartment unit out to do this, but it was quite easy. The only modification to the glove compartment was 2 holes for the mounting bracket and a hole in the back of the actual glove compartment to run the power, neither of which can you see. Eventually, I plan on hardwiring a power source into the glove compartment. (Anybody done this before? hint, hint) Once I got the glove compartment back in, I started with the antenna wire and ran it to the trunk. Since I only have the unit in my car part of the time, I didn't want to snake the antenna wire around my rear window up to the roof. I decided to mount it on the trunk, and since it is magnetic, I can take it off and mount it on the inside of the trunk when not in use. I just put it on the metal box mounted in the top right portion of the trunk, out of harms way. When I need the antenna, I make sure the trunk is very clean, and place it on there appropriately. On the trunk, you still get perfect reception. In fact, when I tried it on my roof, I had pretty crummy reception secondary to my roof rack.

Hopefully, I will get some pictures up in the near future for you. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
521 Posts
1. I want the receiver to be portable to use in the house? Which receiver would allow that?

there are a few options here...the audiovox (sirius) and the delphi (xm) there is also another xm one that i forgot

2. I want the unit to be integrated with my stock Passat Radio. I don't want the attachment that goes into the tape deck. I want it integrated via RCA jacks or something.

delphi unit has a harwire car kit which will run a fm modulator. the audiovox jampak does not

3. Which service is the best?

i personally like xm. sirius is cool though...xm is 10 bucks and sirus is 13

Estimated cost for device, Adapters need etc would be great.

units both run about 100 bucks

this is what we have at bestbuy at least....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
achow
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing