Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8t, havent picked it up yet but managed to buy on ebay clear corner lights and xenon 65w h5 clear blue lights. I feel like i may have made a mistake as they were 4.50$ did i just buy Sh#@? The corner lights were 20 bucks.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
well i don't know of
xenon 65w h5 '
existing, but at that price don't expect miracles, i think you meant H4 or H7'S right :poke:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
65w on stock wires? :nervous: I have heard of at least one member melting their wiring in the headlight plug before. Stock is 55W, not sure what will happen with the extra 10 watts flowing through.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,673 Posts
fuzyslipas said:
I just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8t, havent picked it up yet but managed to buy on ebay clear corner lights and xenon 65w h5 clear blue lights. I feel like i may have made a mistake as they were 4.50$ did i just buy Sh#@? The corner lights were 20 bucks.
There is no such thing as a Xenon bulb. I believe they are called capsules. I got mine for ~$80-$100 a piece. Mine are made by Hella (D2S) and are 35W.

I'm not sure what you got.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i dont want to put them in if they are gonna melt my wires, and i have been reading for the past hour or so about bulbs and city lights and fog lights.. i have to say im pretty confused right now. I wasnt aware that there were separate bulbs for high beams and low beams, i dont even know where to install these? let me know! :???:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues with wires melting. The member that had issues was me, and I was running 85 watts off the stock housings and connectors, even then, it still worked fine, it was just starting to melt the connectors. I upgraded them, and I have had no issues. The bulbs that you bought were just knock off bulbs. If you want a bulb that will last a long time, and improve the color of the bulbs, go with Sylvania Silverstars or Phillips Blue Vision (Both still run at 55 watts which is stock). If you want to have slightly brighter headlights, with the same output color as xenon, go with a hoen bulb, and an upgraded connector (Minor wiring experiance needed). Those are what I have, and they run at 85 watts. They match the HID's on my dad's car as far as color is concerned, but for the intensity, you will need to go with actual HID bulbs.

www.hoen-usa.com (For the Hoen bulbs, get the upgraded connectors that they sell)
www.powerbulbs.com (for the Silverstars or Blue Visions)

You can see a picture of the lights installed in my original hoen thread:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59549&highlight=hoen

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I ran 75W for a month and a half with two twelve hour and two eight hour night trips in there and did not melt my wires/connectors. I just got Nokya sim HIDs and they are either 75W or 70W, still no probs. must be luck or bad wiring. Silverstars can't touch Nokyas, not even my friend's Silverstar projectors on his 5.5

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so this is what im gonna do in the next two weeks... get some new headlights.. 2 pair?? for low andhigh beams?? and get new corner lights..

Does anyone know where i can get clear corner lights that are the same as the stock headlights, not the crystal clear??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bump

Does anyone know where i can get clear corner lights that are the same as the stock headlights, not the crystal clear??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
fuzyslipas
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing