Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so in continuation of the previous thread, I figured, lets make a how to.

Ill be updating as we get more data.
so here it goes

Ok so for now Im going to make this the simple way, straight mods, no messing around to make it work. So Ill be removing GPS,wireless, etc for now. once we get it up, then we'll look at the rest.

From here we can do in house.
1)Get an Xbox.
2)Mod it.
3)install a bigger hard drive.
4)Add linux/ os of choice
5)buy wireless keyboard/mouse/controllers
X6)Get GPS software
X7)optional: Add 802.11 usb or bluetooth.
8)Get a flat monitor taht would be used for the car . (i dont know if this can be tested in house with out a converter). 10 inches at most.
XXXIf we get the touch screen working thats great, but we'll do this for now.
No touch screen.

This is the car part ( i may be off)
9)Install xbox into the back. tie it down or something..
10) get a power invertor? remote swtich?
11) run wires from dash to back (how?)

So here a monitor that goes back into the dash is more desireable. so you wont lose yoru radio.

Questions

Q:Is an amp needed?
A

Q:Will I lose the stock radio/ in dash cd player/ cd changer?
A:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JDeer0618 said:
I would add a blitzsafe adapter to that and use it to replace the cd changer that way you can just run the audio cables from the XBox to the HU
Ok, so as a step by step process where should that go? before 7?
so in this process, blitzsafe adaptor goes to where cd changer is, there fore allowing cableing to the headunit.

Cost for the adaptor?
also if we do this we will need to run a long USB flat cd rom so you can add cds wthout popping the trunck. then again, you do have the mp3s...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think its aux, I think its about replaceing the cd changer, this is for the 1U din Headunit, with out the cd player in the front. Im not sure how itll work with the 2DIN player (single cd)

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Wait, you want to put linux on a modded xbox and install gps software on it....

The way I see it you can either do one of the following:
1) get an Xbox, mod it to play xbox games, mp3's, mpg's/avi's, and play dvd's.

2) get a computer and do all the above, (besides play xbox games) and add gps, internet, etc..

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Usually when you mod your xbox you use evolution software which lets you play dvd's mp3's mpg/avi's and play xbox games.

I'm not sure how easy it'll be to mod an xbox in a way that it'll still play games, have a linux os, and use gps that's built for microsoft.

If I was you I'd go over to mp3car.com, and xbox-scene.com forum and search this a little further.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You might want to make some suspended design for the 'box itself. I know the computer in cars have problems when you shake 'em up a bit, and my Xbox can crap out if you, you know, abuse it. So make it not touching any particularly hard surface. :thumbup:

Surprised there were no potshots at my hacking/modding opinions from some of you... :wink:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Surprised there were no potshots at my hacking/modding opinions from some of you
Touché, a preemtive retort! :) :oops:
You know we don't take it personally, and you shouldn't either :wink: and your expertise with the 'box itself is very useful to people planning to use it as a carputer.

make it not touching not touching any particularly hard surface
A very good point, the XBox is not designed as a mobile application device, so it does need a bit more protection than the purpose built systems, even these do as you point out suffer from shocks. I'm assuming that you mean a physiceal mounting platform, by "suspended design ".

This could be done, for example with two pieces of MDF or ply jointed together with fexible rubber hose suspension 'legs', kind of like earthquake footings in buildings, or the car supports you could get for personal CD players b4 CD HUs were a reasonable price. This would take the edge of the worst of the shocks and should prevent most of the skipping (this is what happens with a full OS loaded, as opposed to limited OS used to load games/play DVDs you fin in games consoles) the except in the worsh of cases.

I'll throw up a diagram tomorrow to explain what I mean if anyone posts to say they'd like to see it. Right now it's about 1.30 am here and I'm off to hit the hay.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Id would like to see it :D
reborg said:
Surprised there were no potshots at my hacking/modding opinions from some of you
Touché, a preemtive retort! :) :oops:
You know we don't take it personally, and you shouldn't either :wink: and your expertise with the 'box itself is very useful to people planning to use it as a carputer.

make it not touching not touching any particularly hard surface
A very good point, the XBox is not designed as a mobile application device, so it does need a bit more protection than the purpose built systems, even these do as you point out suffer from shocks. I'm assuming that you mean a physiceal mounting platform, by "suspended design ".

This could be done, for example with two pieces of MDF or ply jointed together with fexible rubber hose suspension 'legs', kind of like earthquake footings in buildings, or the car supports you could get for personal CD players b4 CD HUs were a reasonable price. This would take the edge of the worst of the shocks and should prevent most of the skipping (this is what happens with a full OS loaded, as opposed to limited OS used to load games/play DVDs you fin in games consoles) the except in the worsh of cases.

I'll throw up a diagram tomorrow to explain what I mean if anyone posts to say they'd like to see it. Right now it's about 1.30 am here and I'm off to hit the hay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.