Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am Looking For A Tiptronic Transmission For A 98 Passat , My Current Transmission Shifts But Dosent Drive. I Would Like To Purchase One Either New , Used Or Refurbished.

Also Does It Make Sense To Convert To Manual Now That I Need A Transmission ?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I Am Looking For A Tiptronic Transmission For A 98 Passat , My Current Transmission Shifts But Dosent Drive. I Would Like To Purchase One Either New , Used Or Refurbished.

Also Does It Make Sense To Convert To Manual Now That I Need A Transmission ?

Are you sure it's the transmission and not the torque converter? Torque converter failure is common, transmission failure is not so by comparison.

8,184 Posts
Well its up to you but think about 4,000 to 5,000 grand for a stick. They need to change everything out and cuts stuff to put the petals in too. So ask your mech how much for both and then ask yourself do you really want a stick? Now that was answered the next thing is the other guy is right they really don't go bad its the TC inwhich get a level ten while your at it

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Converting from an Auto to 5 speed is major modifications and work! You'll need to change out the whole drive shaf too I believe.
I just had to buy a new (or new reman'd I should say) auto trans for my b5.5. Got mine from here http://www.autosportsunlimited.com/trans.html

Best warrenty I could find and cheapest too. I'd stick with getting a reman'd trans. It would have cost just a couple hundred $ less to rebuild mine than it was to buy a reman'd one. Plus I got an extra 1 year warranty going that route too. That company dyno tests all thier trans's too, comes already full with fluid and with the TQ. Can't beat it!

Oh and don't bother with level 10 unless you're using a larger turbo than a K04. Not worth it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you need a spare TQ, I have one for the 5HP19FL 5 speed tiptronic. I upgraded to a Spec-Rite race TQ and the original (done 50k miles but oil change every 30k miles, yes I'm paranoid) is now sitting around.

But it will be a pain to ship, about 30 pounds worth of metal and I'm in Asia.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've got a stick transmission and subframe that I could sell if you wanted (Along with a Stage II clutch/flywheel)...LMK if your serious about this and we can talk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does any one have anyother ideas as to why the existing tranny isnt working can it be a cam shaft and electrical problem or can it really be the tourque convertor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts