·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need cables not chains for my passat, my tires are 205/60/R15

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Check the manual to make sure you can use cables/chains on that wheel.
Some are excluded. i think all 15ins are ok (no 16in is), but worth check.
Oh and get some Nokian WRs (as they won't melt in CA heat driving to the mountains) if you're going to do this regularly. I know you need the cables to get past the CHP, but when there's no chain control, you'll be happy to have some snows.
Any decent auto-parts store should be able to find you some.
Also, if you're lowered, I wonder about the wisdom of chains.

·
Registered
828 Posts
He's looking for traction cables, not chains. Not a problem with anyone who is using standard diameter tires (like our poster) and is not lowered.

For someone who has only occasional foul-weather use, all-seasons are a fine solution. Then,you just need the cables for the really ugly situations. With high-perf rubber, I have carried cables in the spring and fall when I've been in the high mountains. Only needed them once, though...

I like the WRs and use them as our winter tires, but if you have decent tires already, cables are a cheap fix. And you can always add the cables to them if things get realy ugly. I don't remember the brand, but IIRC, it was under $25 for the pair of cables.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have some brand new cable chains still in zippered case/bag that I can GIVE YOU you that should fit. They are Laclede brand (Model # 1030) and according to their website, these should fit. Pmail if you are interested. NOTE: The downside is you'd have to drive up to the L.A. area to pick them up...I don't feel like shipping these. -Mark

·
Registered
545 Posts
word of advice, just make sure they fit your car. In California they wont let you exchange them once the bag has been open.

speak from experience

·
Cheezburger
2,042 Posts
I have some brand new cable chains still in zippered case/bag that I can GIVE YOU you that should fit. They are Laclede brand (Model # 1030) and according to their website, these should fit. Pmail if you are interested. NOTE: The downside is you'd have to drive up to the L.A. area to pick them up...I don't feel like shipping these. -Mark
lol, he sold his Passat like six months ago, this thread is three years old

1 - 11 of 11 Posts