Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a German plate for the front of my Passat, but the generic frame that holds it is not a proper fit for a B5.5 Passat front bumper, what with the curvature and all. I'm looking to buy a proper frame as pictured below to hold the plate for $20 USD shipped. If anyone in Europe can find a BLACK one in a junkyard in good condition, the money is yours. Please IM me! E-mail isn't working at the moment.

·
Registered
464 Posts
curve the plate across your stomach before putting it in the frame, then add a couple strips of 3M trim tape to the ends of the frame in addition to the screws. The other option is to mount it in the lower grill like many do overseas.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NOSswitchB5 said:
I believe that the B5.5 frame is actually molded into the bumper cover.
Interesting, can anyone else confirm this?

I like the tape idea- hadn't even thought of that before.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Of course it's molded .. see here (you can only get a licence plate holder - the black one at this picture - and screw it onto your bumper, i think):

OR should i ship you a complete bumper instead? :lol:

·
Registered
261 Posts
croman said:
I used the 3M tape way :) hehe works GREAT 8)
The way you have your plate mounted looks nice. :thumbup: From your picture it looks like you just have the Euro plate mounted? Your using no frame?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump for more posts- this is all interesting! I have a nice guy from here named Staffan who is trying to help me out over IM and get me one from Europe... but you say the OE one is molded into the bumpers in Europe?

Consensus? :???:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Hi Chris (StattlichPassat),
Sorry for the confusion. First i did'nt know that US B5,5's had a different front bumper. Here you have a close up of a Euro B5,5 (thanks Jocke for the pic). Notice the frame where you put your plateholder. So I guess you'll have to bend your existing plateholder a bit, to fit it on your car?

Sorry for the size.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Staffan
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing