Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer to purchase a working FHN trans, but will settle for a core if the price is right. Just purchased a passat wagon tdi that has the 5mt FHN trans in it already, but has some issues. I would like to get another trans in hand and built before i absolutely NEED a new trans (just to prepare for it)... text preferred. text anytime day or night. +1 915-79zero-3zero88

Thanks

Isaac

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
I have a spare FWD 1.8T trans but I don't know if the CV flanges are the same. I'll be out in the garage Sunday if you want to come by or I can take pics/measurements. I has about 140k and shifted well. Send a PM if you need the address. Cost would be $100 picked up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a spare FWD 1.8T trans but I don't know if the CV flanges are the same. I'll be out in the garage Sunday if you want to come by or I can take pics/measurements. I has about 140k and shifted well. Send a PM if you need the address. Cost would be $100 picked up.

I am no expert and I haven't done a HORRIBLE amount of research since I am a new owner of this vehicle, but i believe it will not work. I think it has to be a trans from a TDI. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
I don't know if the B5 Passat TDI was available with a manual trans in the US. The 1.8T 5sp trans has shorter gearing, so the engine would be running around 3600rpm at 80mph. If you are only doing it while the other is rebuilt, it's not really a problem as it's short term. The V6 5sp is a better match as it would run just over 3K at 80. The issue with the 1.8T trans is that it might have used smaller flanges for the axles (not sure). I know the car it came from had the smaller bearings in the wheel hubs. If you can't find the matching trans, a V6 trans would be a good choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts