Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, some of you may already know that wrknbum (John) was in a pretty bad motorcycle accident this past Sunday. his GF Missy is in pretty good shape, aside from a minor concussion, some bruises, and a little bit of road rash; however, John didn't make out so well.

John has a broken left wrist; a shattered right kneecap; and, a compound fracture of his right femur (the pix are pretty ugly, he showed me). he has already been thru one surgery to pin his leg into traction, and will have another one later this week to pin and screw his kneecap and femur back together. afaik, there is no surgery scheduled for his wrist. he is in the hospital for ~2 weeks, and then can not put any weight on his leg for 3 months - so dancing is out of the question for a while - not that the boy can dance anyway. ;)

I saw him in the hospital this afternoon at RI Hospital in Providence, and all things being equal, he's in pretty good spirits (for the most part). for those who want to talk to him directly, he is in rm 728; google the main phone number and the operator will connect you to his room (ask for John Martin).

here's where anyone else who desires to help can - John's insurance is at 80% - meaning he is responsible for the other 20%, and this one ain't gonna be cheap. I will take donations to my paypal account (mauters at yahoo dot com) for those who want to toss some funds his way to help ease his financial burden. if you want to send a check or cash, please contact me for my home address via PM.
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here's where anyone else who desires to help can - John's insurance is at 80% - meaning he is responsible for the other 20%, and this one ain't gonna be cheap. I will take donations to my paypal account (mauters at yahoo dot com) for those who want to toss some funds his way to help ease his financial burden. if you want to send a check or cash, please contact me for my home address via PM.
bumping this - his surgery is this coming Monday. I have nothing received to date.
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
message from Missy earlier today is that he went into surgery sometime between noon and 1:00. intent is to fix his wrist and his knee/femur. ssurgery is expected to take around 5 hrs.

to date, I have heard from exactly two people. you know who you are, so thanks for your help for John.
 

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
Joined
·
22,619 Posts
[h=5]Here is a John update.. from Missy..Just got the call!..john is out of surgery!...he did very well..knee was extremely shattered! St did his best to repair it and says he is confident that it should heal well. He is going into recovery shortly so when I see him, I'll send out another update![/h]
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bumping this - John has been in rehab for the last week at Newport Hospital in their rehab ward. It looks like he has improved enough to go home tomorrow. Part of his rehab has been learning how to bump up stairs on his butt, and pushing himself up with his good leg - it is likely he will have to get into his house that way, as there are about 6 steps to get into the front door.

To date, I have received what I would deem to be a very small amount of money for him - about 10% of previous types of fund raisers for other members here. Frankly, I'm at a loss. Lots of looks, but lots of inaction. The apathy speaks volumes, folks. I guess this ain't Passatworld anymore.
 

·
My intake has Emphysema
Joined
·
7,712 Posts
Unfortunately, no Jay, this isn't Passatworld anymore. I'm not really one to speak though as I have yet to contribute due to an animal surgery as well as a furnace failure. But I will when I can. No matter how little it may be.
I do want to say this though; it is sad what Passatworld has become......

Three years ago, my house burned down. Before the smoke even stopped rising from what was left of it, Jay had a similar message posted. And I'll tell you what, within 24 hours Passatworld had raised over $x,xxx.xx on my behalf.

I know John had sent some too as I met him for the first time at the following Snorkfest. He made it a point to ask how things were going and if there was anything else he could do.
C'mon PW, get off your asses. Every little bit helps.
 

·
Moderate Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
Every little bit helps.
Good point.

Even if someone only sends the price of a Starbucks coffee, BigMac, gallon of gas, pint of beer...etc. If enough people do it, it adds up.

Those are all things most people wouldn't hesitate to pick up the tab on for a friend in need.
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update...

John is home, and learning how to handle 4 wheels again - in the house. He's in relatively good spirits, all things considered. I have to cap the donation spigot off sometime, guys. Last date is 24 Oct - one week from today.

To all who have sent me funds: I've tried to answer each and every email. Once again, thanks for helping out.
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John got the cast off his hand and wrist today. He says it is stiff, so he's going to be doing PT on it. He also says the leg is good and bad sometimes.

The bike was written off as a total loss, so he doesn't have to worry about fixing/selling it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,295 Posts
Hope John's rehab is going well despite your being in Little Rock !!
 

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
Joined
·
27,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
guys, I gave John $1000 (via paypal) this evening. he was most appreciative. thanks again to all who donated cash for him.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top