Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sad day for our ole’ Pal a 2005 Passat Wagon TDI GLS. It got T-boned when the other driver failed to stop at an intersection.
Everyone involved is fine. Car drives normal and straight, except for wind noises from the buckled B pillar and door seals.

For 15 years it’s been a great versatile wagon with great fuel mileage. It has served my family well.

I replaced or installed the following… torque converter twice, Koni FSD shocks, new Lemforder upper control arms, new Lemforder bushings on lower control arms, new sway bar links, four sets of Michelins, three sets of brakes and rotors, 5 sets of outer CV axle boots from GNK or Rein, Pioneer touch screen apple car play head unit, Hella Headlights, all VW factory coolant hoses (except the two still original radiator hoses) and twice the rear flange, Behr coolant reservoir tank, two thermostats (Vemo and Wahler) and factory thermostat neck, two sets of Conti or Gates timing belts, Hepu or Graf water pumps and associated INA pulleys & tensioner, three sets of Conti drive belts and one INA tensioner, Bosch alternator, ZF power steering pump, Pierburg tandem pump, VDO in tank fuel pump, VW Factory fuel rubber hoses, four VW factory door lock actuators, dyna mat sound deadener, 384 A/C relay, three VW factory batteries, one grill and several lower grills. Other major components are the geared balance shaft module, engine mounts and a/c condenser that were installed under the VW warranty.
But unfortunately with 227,000 miles, I am expecting the insurance company to total it.

So my plan is to buy it back and make the necessary repairs to get it back on the road.

Not familiar on parts interchange between B5 and B5.5, I found a B5 2001 green wagon at my local wrecking yard. So the question would be if those doors would fit directly to my B5.5? Would the electrical be the same? Or would I have to transfer all the electrical parts over.

Also question on the airbags. The side curtain airbag and the side seat airbag all let loose. Anyone have any experience or tips upon replacing those? Thanks in advanced for any advice.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
At 15 yrs old and 227K with a distorted B-pillar, your Insurance Co. will surely total it. As for the pass door, the B5 door shell can be used, but you'll want to transfer the internals (i.e. window regulator, door control module and lock module). The later Passats have better lock mechanisms that will open the door (from inside) with a single latch pull. The Rockwell latch mechanisms used on 98-99 Passats are a step above garbage; not to mention, the door lock pin on the early cars sticks up about 5/8" above the door panel versus being flush on the later Passats. As for the seat back, I recently bought a replacement including the airbag for under $150 delivered. Not too common, but they are out there.

Lastly, you should check the requirements your state has for returning the car to a non-salvage (i.e. sellable) title after you buy it back from your Insurance Co. After you've bought it back, the car can be legally driven after being repaired, but will have a Salvage Title and can't be sold. In order to sell it to someone else later, the repaired vehicle will need to be "certified" by your state. If all this sounds like a racket to separate you from your $500 for the "state certification" fee, it is to some extent....but it helps protect the innocent. If you don't like this racket, keep the car with its Salvage Title until the wheels fall off (like I've done with my '99) by selling it to a family member. ;)

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
Glad everyone is ok.
Is the actual B pillar damaged or is it just the door? The 01 B5 wagon did have a curtain airbag. You would need to remove the headliner and side trim to get it out. Good to practice on the donor as it does not matter if you snap some trim tabs.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Two Germans collide!
Your car sustained less damage than if it was an American, considering Merc. Hit you head on on the side door.
It appears to be just the doors, and airbags.
Junk yard is where you need to go for doors. I don’t think they sell airbags anymore tho.
By the way very nice interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Lastly, you should check the requirements your state has for returning the car to a non-salvage (i.e. sellable) title after you buy it back from your Insurance Co. After you've bought it back, the car can be legally driven after being repaired, but will have a Salvage Title and can't be sold. In order to sell it to someone else later, the repaired vehicle will need to be "certified" by your state. If all this sounds like a racket to separate you from your $500 for the "state certification" fee, it is to some extent....but it helps protect the innocent. If you don't like this racket, keep the car with its Salvage Title until the wheels fall off (like I've done with my '99) by selling it to a family member. ;)
Upon the cursory conversation with the adjuster, the car is totaled with a slight chance it's not. But with COVID, there is a delay and will not know for sure until a few weeks.

I am not sure if I can get a non-salvaged title once it's salvaged in California, but I'll check in to it. I had a car in the past that was totaled and I bought it back. I fixed it myself and had to go through a referee shop for inspection before title and new licenses plates were issued. No issues in transferring title to the new owner once I decided to get rid of the car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad everyone is ok.
Is the actual B pillar damaged or is it just the door? The 01 B5 wagon did have a curtain airbag. You would need to remove the headliner and side trim to get it out. Good to practice on the donor as it does not matter if you snap some trim tabs.
From the inside, you can see the B pillar is pushed in about an inch near the rocker. I'll have to see how I'll proceed once I get the doors unstuck and off.... unless the insurance company decides to fix it, then I'll let them do it. Thanks for the tip the airbag.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two Germans collide!
Your car sustained less damage than if it was an American, considering Merc. Hit you head on on the side door.
It appears to be just the doors, and airbags.
Junk yard is where you need to go for doors. I don’t think they sell airbags anymore tho.
By the way very nice interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We estimated about a 40mph hit. The car was pushed pretty far from the impact site.

Thanks for the complement on the interior. We love it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a whole 2001 parts wagon for sale that looks like the same exterior color. But I doubt it's the same because I think United Grey - code LA7T - was only offered in 2005.
Is there an online VIN decoder that will show the build sheet codes anywhere. The parts car is not close to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts