Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A V8 Hemi with decent highway gas mileage and awesome interior and exterior styling. It looks great. Finally a decent looking american luxury car, although many of the components are from the e-class. That makes it a great deal for $33K loaded up with the hemi.

http://www.chrysler.com/300/index.html?context=bounce&type=link

Wow, it starts at $24K. That's amazing for such a big car.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
It looks great. .
Ouch. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure she'll perform extremely well & have lots of great features. But I wouldn't be able to honestly say I agreed with yout opinion on the looks. To be honest, its that front end. It just doesn't do anything for me - in a positive way at least. But this is just my opinion. To each his own, right? But that grill! Its just so damn huge! It looks so awkward.

I applaud the engineering, but the designer should never be allowed to get near a drawing table again.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
so whats the deal with the hate against the hemi here?

Seems to me like its a cool engine, (with its discplacment on demand) and with good power, 345hp and 375 lb/tq

so whats the deal? did I miss somthing?

-Nick

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Could someone explain exactly what is so special about a hemisperical piston head that we should all run out and buy one?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno much about hemi's but the torque is 390ft-lbs. I don't really car that it has a hemi, but that it has some serious power and still can get good mileage by using displacement on demand.

As far as looks go that is purely in the eye of the beholder My wife thinks it's ugly, but I think it's great.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
The complaint is that DiamlerChysler is labeling everything with "HEMI(R)" and trying to convince us that it's something special. It's the attempt of DiamlerChrysler to convince us dumb car buyers that we should be impressed with their ancient technology. I suppose marketing is cheaper than engineering. Hey look, another 5.7L V8 engine, never seen one of those before. Oh, this one has heads that were designed 50 years ago, wowsers! Oh, this one has to cut fuel and valve lift in half it's cylinders to get acceptable highway fuel economy, wowsers!

That's my view, anyways :p

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I've got to say that if I were a little older and in the market for a car that size I would probably have to jump all over that thing. Nice classy look, kind of reminds me of a bently, in a market where luxury cars are all starting to the same kind of sleek/pulled back front ends (BMW,Acura,even Benz) it is kind of nice to see a car that stands out from the crowd, I commend chryster and welcome the death of the tired "cab-forward" look that has plauged their sedans for so long. As for the Hemi, who cares, although they are playing the hell out of the name. Price is great too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I like the Dodge Magnum better.
Could someone explain exactly what is so special about a hemisperical piston head that we should all run out and buy one?
It is a pent-roof design. Makes air go in, and out. Gives more top end. But I think it is still a 2 valve design that would not be terribly efficient. Basically it is a well-executed marketing pitch that is replaying on the 426 Hemi of yore. This is a truck engine, so expect it to act as such. Of course I would love to get my wife in one of these. Good back seat room. But I am always skepticle of their quality...who knows.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the 5-speed tranny comes straight from the e-class.

·
Registered
103 Posts
while it lloks like a well laid out car with mainy good things going for it.

I would also like to chime in about the front end, I think the grille looks over the top and expensive to replace if damaged since it looks like all one piece. Also if you look through the grille the foam bumper backing is quite visible (kind of shoddy looking).
At least no one is calling the styling luke warm.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to take a look at it in person. I wish they would make a wagon version cause I don't like the magnum at all.

·
Registered
428 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
I want to take a look at it in person. I wish they would make a wagon version cause I don't like the magnum at all.
There will be a wagon version- the "300C Touring"- just not for North America. The pic below is from the Frankfurt Auto Show.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that looks pretty tight. Too bad we don't get many wagons here in the states. I bet that will change soon.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
BoeserBlick said:
not_too_shabby said:
It looks great. .
Ouch. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure she'll perform extremely well & have lots of great features. But I wouldn't be able to honestly say I agreed with yout opinion on the looks. To be honest, its that front end. It just doesn't do anything for me - in a positive way at least. But this is just my opinion. To each his own, right? But that grill! Its just so damn huge! It looks so awkward.

I applaud the engineering, but the designer should never be allowed to get near a drawing table again.
I think we can say that about many present day makers....BMW, Nissan, Toyota.....on and on..... :cry:

That thing looks huge for some reason....how much does it weigh?

And let me guess....Auto only right?

HEMI $33k with no options..... :roll:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
passaturbonium said:
And let me guess....Auto only right?

HEMI $33k with no options..... :roll:
Yes Auto only, but with its Mercedes designed 5spd it will run a a 6.0 - 6.3 0-60.

Or in other words, probably hang neck and neck with the R32 in a straight line. Not bad for a full sized sedan...

And also from what I have read the Hemi powered 300c will start at 27-28k

-Nick

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
32 Participants
nojevive
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing