Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to check on the new Altima few days ago.
I have a good time when the sales guy approached me.
He tired to get me into one, so he started:
“This car is a BMW 7series class car for less money. You will get a luxurious car for a minimal cost of BMW”.
I did not respond as I did not know if he was joking or serious. I let him continue:
“ This car is great, better than the Maxima”. Well lest time I checked the maxima is the entire class higher car. Maybe it can use a slightly better engine, but still.
He got me started when he commented on the car I was driving (I was in my in-laws RX300):
“This is Lexus, right? Just an overpriced Honda.”

I started laughing, and congratulated him on the knowledge of the industry. Turned out he just got the job and is a victim of Big3 downsizing- 20 years on an assembly line for one of the local tier1 suppliers.
Anyway, should there be screening when they hire, or at least training? This is brand new dealership (6 months old) and they should hire the best to get the business going.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My experience is that car salesmen know nothing about the cars they sell. You can learn more online in 5 minutes than asking the dealer 1000 questions.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I agree with mdelker, mostly. Once I met a VW salesguy who formerly was a mechanic and part owner of an indy garage. The guy knew the Passat, chapter and verse. Didn't buy from him, though, 'cause of the price...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
How about Lexus is a Toyota - LOL

Agree with all the points mentioned above.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
IMHO, the people in sales that actually know about cars quit becasue of the crazy things (ripoffs, poor repairs, etc) that happen at dealerships.

Sales is sales right?

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
I have experienced one exception. The guy I bought my A4 and Passat from knew those cars bumper to bumper and the history of the chassis. I did a lot of research and forum lurking before buying and this guy knew his shit. He's been the top seller at this VW/Audi/Porsche dealer for years. Once in awhile you find one.

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,708 Posts
Whe the R32 first came out, I went to the local dealer to check them out. I pulled in the parking lot and some 350lb salesWOMAN walked up to me, did the usual greeting, and says........wait for it..........

...nice Jetta.

I got right back in my Gti and left.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
Whe the R32 first came out, I went to the local dealer to check them out. I pulled in the parking lot and some 350lb salesWOMAN walked up to me, did the usual greeting, and says........wait for it..........

...nice Jetta.

ROTFLMAO

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have experienced one exception. The guy I bought my A4 and Passat from knew those cars bumper to bumper and the history of the chassis. I did a lot of research and forum lurking before buying and this guy knew his shit. He's been the top seller at this VW/Audi/Porsche dealer for years. Once in awhile you find one.
if you want to make the $$$ you have to know your shit. Just like any other job.

It is the same thing if you go to bestbuy or any other electronics store. Bunch of kids who work for $7/hr and have no idea about the product. Isn't it batter to hire half of the stuff at $15-20 that know what they do and actually sell the product. I think it is worth to pay more for the pro.
Where is the service industry going????

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Funny. I bought my car from a GM dealer, the car was used. I started to ask question about the car and some of its functions. Anyway the guy didn't know much about VW's, but had a friend that worked(retired) for VW come over. It was great. They even put the car up on lift for me and removed the belly pan and what not so I could inspect the motor. I

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny. I bought my car from a GM dealer, the car was used. I started to ask question about the car and some of its functions. Anyway the guy didn't know much about VW's, but had a friend that worked(retired) for VW come over. It was great. They even put the car up on lift for me and removed the belly pan and what not so I could inspect the motor. I
funny,
Buick dealer has an 04 Toureg on the lot. I test drove it, the sales guy did not know anything about it, too.
It sits there since July. Wonder why they did not sell it @ auction. Anyway this will be good negotiation point if it is there for so long.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Id say in the next 5 years with the web you wont have car salesmen. I never go to the dealer and get a salesmen, the deal is made over the net with the manager! Then I just go pick it up! Salesmen are making peanuts anymore on cars with the knowledge people have with the net. Depending on the car most make about $100 a car if that!

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I know of a Nissan dealership where the salesman I dealt with knew his shit. I also know of another Nissan dealership where the salesman I dealt with didn't know doodly.

however, if I ever ran into a car salesman who came onto me like Xedo had happen, I'd laugh at him and tell him I wanted another sales rep, pronto. he'd ask why, of course, and I'd tell him I wasn't comfortable with someone who misrepresents the product he's selling, and that since he was so willing to lie about a car, who knows what else he'd lie about?

I gotta say, I got a pretty good deal on the last car I bought; it's a Nissan Quest, and they aren't real popular right now, even with the design changes they made for 07. I think Nissan makes the dealerships take a certaiin number regardless of the sales figures on them. I told them what I was willing to pay (based on internet research, but I didn't let on to that), and stood firm on it. as the month wore on, they came closer and closer to my number. then we dealt on the trade-in, and I also had a good number as to what it was worth, thanks to the internet - and held firm on that. in the end, with a minimal amount of haggling, I got what I wanted, and they got the car off their books.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts

...nice Jetta.

wow lol.. i was at least hoping you were in a passat.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
He got me started when he commented on the car I was driving (I was in my in-laws RX300):
“This is Lexus, right? Just an overpriced Honda.”
Lack of knowledge of the car you sell is one thing, but stupidly insulting the potential buyer's present ride is insane. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
When I bought my B5.5 my salesman was knowledgeable about VW's in general but not that familiar with my ride. I lurked this board for months before I bought mine and I knew what questions to ask him from what I learned here. He didn't know what the black cartridge stcking out of the cubby cover in the trunk was. I told him it was a Phatbox and what it did, didn't know what it was. It wasn't listed on the sticker either. I guess I got it for free. Overall though he was good to deal with.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
As a former car salemen let me tell you the knowlegeable customer is as rare as a five leaf clover. Then of course you get the guy in his 1989 Camaro Convertable v6 thinking the thing is worth $20k (no lie) getting all upset when you offer him $1500 (being generous). Or the people who think they know what the cars are and they deal like the car they are buying the dealer only paid $5000 on a $30k car and asking if we would take $6000 cash (still $30k car). My peresonal fav is the guy who called asked how much a car was with TTL, do the figures call him back comes in the next day with a check (stupid) I made $4000 on that one deal. :D

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have only dealt with 1 car salesman. This is my 3rd dealing with him after owning 2 VW's. I have done research before I buy my cars so I basically knew its features. He really does give me a good deal, I should say.

Funny thing was when I asked him how to turn on the headlight washers on my Jetta 2.0T. He didnt have a clue. So I played with it while he was outside, this was in the middle of winter. I ddnt see him looking at the washers and I flicked the switch. He got sprayed all over. LOL

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Just ignore them. Do your own research and make your own deal.
I never pay attention to anyone in retail. Best Buy? I ignore them. Car Dealer? Ignore them. My wife? Ignored. Hell I rarely even trust a doctor these days.
Blame it on the WWW, Wikipedia, and a little bit of gumption. Knowledge is power. The ability to research anything is right at your fingertips.

Car salesmen usually aren't too knowledgeable why? cuz they don't have to be. Style and Price account for most (90% ??) of the buying decision. Style is in the eye of the buyer, so really all a salesman (& mgr) has to do is get the person in the car (drive it once or better yet "sure take it home") and get to the right price.

I wouldn't give the average joe schmo too much credit. I bet hmmm 90% of people have no idea what size engine is in their car or what psi the tires should be at. Hell most people can't even name the first three presidents of the United States. But they know Britney spears is a big fat ho.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts