Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, while traveling on my ritualistic Friday commute home, I decided to get a TRUE top speed measurement.

We had ideal conditions today, bright sunshine, 68 degrees, light traffic and plenty of clear autobahn...

On autobahn 63 from Kaiserslautern to Mainz, I decided to push it. Since most speedometers are a few MPH off, I relied solely on my more accurate Garmin GPS to log the top speed. While tracking six satellites with accuracy down to a 5 meter circle, I logged a top speed of 150.93 miles per hour! (243KPH) :shock:

Most of you know that my mods are reletively simple. I have the 2.8 30V 4-Mo with GIAC ECU and Tip chips, 2.5 inch stainless RS6 exhaust, and EVOMS intake. I am rolling "Y" rated Pirelli P6000's on 17" BBS Madras, H&R Sport springs and Koni Sport adjustables. I just upgraded the brakes to Brembo / Zimmerman drilled and slotted with PBR ceramic pads. That's it!

I just wish I had a JPEG of the speedo to post here. I am pleased. It was a good day. :wink:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I am so jealous - My stock GLX wouldn't do that, and if it managed I would be in prison for it (united states and their bullsh*t 55mph "limits")

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I failed to mention, my car is not a European Passat. It is a US Specs model, I have just euro-ized it! What will suck is my eventual move back to GA. Maybe I should sell the Passat and drive an old diesel Land Rover. This should keep the Georgia State Patrol off of my behind...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
991 Posts
First of all: :bow: :bow: :bow: to your car and Autobahn.

I have a similar car as you (2000 GLX 4Motion wagon). I just got chipped with GIAC ECU on Tuesday. Though without an upgrade exhaust like yours, your experience implies that my car definitely has the potential to achieve close to your car on the top end.

I am happy, even though I cannot legally drive that fast here. I sort of tried the chip out today on the way home from work on a remote but well paved road. In a short time, I was going 110mph and still felt that there was much more to go. Backed down quickly with my Boxter caliper/ECS slotted drilled floating discs because I ran out of road.

By the way, how do you like your H&R sport springs (with the Koni shocks)?

I have the 1BE setup right now.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
wow, that must be an incredible feeling to move at such a velocity.
any chance do u have a pic of the "end of speed limit" signs? i think its a circle with three diagnol lines going thru?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I cant wait to get my car chipped now. I couldn't count the times that I've bounced of my 133mph limiter on the interstate. I'm not a big fan of speed limits, but I keep it sain around traffic, most of my excursions are in the wee hours of the morning on remote highways. Mmmmmmmm GIAC chip......Auhhhhhh :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1EDYSON said:
ive hit 160 wih a a garret chip
Remember, your speedometer is NOT 100% accurate. Most are off by 3 to 8 MPH. If you really want to know the truth, a GPS reading is a must...

·
Registered
991 Posts
glockfan,

How do you like your H&R Sport with Koni now?

Is is too stiff, or is it ok? (Subjective question, but I need some opinions.)

The lowering isn't too low, right? I mean, you can see a little bit of gap around the tires?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts