Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the implications of chipping my 2004 with 4000-miles on it would be. Is there a chip/mod that is easily added/removed between visits to the dealer. Will they be able to use diagnostic tools to see that the engine has been operating out of factory specs? Will this void my warranty should a major part of the engine/turbo fail?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
As far as I know, APR and Wetterauer make socketed chips so you can put in the OE chip before you go into the dealer.

·
Registered
882 Posts
GIAC. Still under warrantee. Waited until 7,000 miles. After I chipped I wondered why I didn't do it earlier.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Got mine chipped at 25,000, 2 years (4 months ago) Haven't had any problems but my dealer knows about it. You guys all know the story arleady, I'm their "favorite" but otherwise they would've never known about it...

do it! heheheh
:thumbup:

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Far more warranty problems reported on having adequate oil change service records than having a chip. Keep all your receipts, especially for the filters.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I did it and dealer knows. The Service Manager was the one who installed the chip for me 8)

·
Registered
418 Posts
gnosis said:
As far as I know, APR and Wetterauer make socketed chips so you can put in the OE chip before you go into the dealer.
I have the Wetterauer chip and the dealer said the ECU was giving peculiar codes(he said the ecu said I was going 180mph). Even though I had the stock chip in there, he saw the socket and assumed it was a aftermarket chip. He said he couldn't fix anything under warranty and I paid him to put it back together. Called Kelly at Wett and she said ship my ECU back to her and she would solder stock chip back on. I did and then took my car to another dealer and they replaced the ECU. Sent the new ECU back to Kelly and she socketed again and I have been happy ever since. Stressful at the time but it all worked out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
17 Participants
passnatl
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing