Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's the situtation. I built a house in a nice quiet neighborhood. The neighborhood is a mixture of old (1950s) ranchers and new (2000+) "transitional" designs. Typical middle class homes for this area, the older ranchers are worth about $100-125k, the newer houses are from $125-150k. Well, we're having some problems with the people in the older rancher across the street from out house. Basically they are abnoxious. The owner of the house lives in another state and he is renting it to his 21 year old son who is an apprentice eletrician and 2 of his buddies. Can you see where this is going? Yup, big parties EVERY Friday and Saturday night, lasting until at least 3:00AM. Last weekend was the biggest one, 2 keggs and at least 50 cars parked on the street. At about 2:00 I looked out to see a dude pissing iin my neightbors yard and 2 chicks sitting on my car (thankfully it was the Impala, no harm done). But still, this just isn't right. So when they go overboard with the parties, would you call the cops? I can remember what it's like to be 21 and be ready to party every night, but damn, I didn't do it in a nice quiet residential area, and my friends did't pee in other peoples lawns...

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Yep....Call and Call often. Take pictures too. Might need them when something on your house gets broken. It is a matter of time, trust me.

I know if this was Huntington Beach, you would only need to call once. And they would break that place up with tear gas. I have been on the receiving end of HB party break up tactics. I hope VA uses similar tactics.

·
Registered
149 Posts
that really sucks

I agree with call - it would be great if in a perfect world you could just "talk with them" but this doesnt look to be the case.

What do the other neighbors think? You cant be the only one that is pissed. If more than one call Im sure youll get results.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you want to be nice, drop a note in the guy's mailbox (no need to say what neighbor you are :lol: ) and say you're trying to be patient but that they are getting out of hand and that if they can't handle it, the police gladly will

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
In LA if you happen to deal with really cool cops in a nice neighborhood($700k $8mil+ homes) you get 2 verbal warnings, ONLY if your not causing any traffic violations. The steps taken after the warnings can result in a mini force of about 20 cops, includes helicoter to circle a few times and fat fine. The chopper with small police force will show up right away if cars are blocking others in a "fire hazard" situation or if there are more people in the home then should be, you will get both the FIRE dept and POLICE, with 2 sweeet fines can rack up with the helicopter included.

I would take pictures and stuff since this will continue unless they are respectful. I would call the cops and see how the response is for the first time, and act accordingly.

I havent been to one of these parties in LA in months..I kinda miss it, but then again, I don't like all the hassle.

Its apretty interesting thing to be on a pool deck backyard patio overlooking all of Hollywood with about 200 people with 3 full bars and everyone looks up and toasts the helicopter with the bright spots on the crowd. hehehe

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Yes and call often.

I used to do it to the neighbors 2 doors over. Once, they got busted for minors drinking. That was considered a major kill by the rest of the block. We were celebrating that kill for a while.

The unwritten rule on our block in Philly was two noisy parties a year per house, and you had better invite the neighbors, at least the ones attached to your house (rowhouses). Anything more than that was considered rude and offensive and worthy of getting your ass kicked by the 5th District. However, those who had quiet parties and invited the whole block could have as many as they wanted. :D

Once we went over and politely asked them to turn down the stereo. When they told us to call the cops, we did so from their front doorstep. The dispatcher coded it as a riot due to the noise involved!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Why don't you join them? :wink:
eh eh, just kidding. It may not do any good, but I would talk with them first. If that doesn't work, call the cops :p

·
Registered
612 Posts
Have you thought about just talking to him? I remember when I was 21 (2 years ago :D ) we used to have big parties and once our neighbors just aked us to keep it quiet after 1:00 or so. Now knowing that we were bothering them, we respected their wishes and informed our friends to head inside around 1 and we would turn the music down too. We did a follow up with them and they said they didn't even know we had a party one night.

Cops are only a threat and otherwise worthless. Its amazing how working with your neighbors can be so much better then being against them all the time.

I would just head over there with a six pack and talk to them... Tell them they need to have fun, but you don't want to be kept up all night too, its just not fair.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: that really sucks

Matt07 said:
What do the other neighbors think? You cant be the only one that is pissed. If more than one call Im sure youll get results.
I'm not. The one who's lawn got peed on called his father the next day. We'll see if it helped this weekend. The other neighbor next to the kids said she plans on calling the cops the next time they keep her wake at night. I don't want to seem like the "old fogey across the street" that just "doesn't remember what it's like to be young". What worries me is that he jsut turned 21, it was obvious to me that many of the party goers were under 21 (lots of r1ced out civics, ect) and they FIHISHED 2 kegs and all except one car was gone by dawn, so I know some msut have been driving drunk...

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Mister_Rogers said:
Call and call often
Ditto to Mister_Rogers above. In addition, get to know your surrounding neighbors, get their phone numbers. The next time when this rowdy bunch have a get together again, call up all your neighbors and have them all call the cops at the same time.

Another option is to invite Mister_Rogers neighbor's pack of pit bulls over for a visit :wink:

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Take your own advice from the Peace activist thread, knock on the door and punch them in the nose until they turn the music down. :crazy: :mad: :(

Might makes right. no?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nah, I'm getting too old to pick fights withg people who might fight back. ;) That thread stated as a JOKE, but the last paragraph does make sence to me... Now back on topic...to call or not to call?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I called the cops on my neighbors while I was still in grade school. Back then my parents had to wake up at 5am to go to work in the city. We live in an affluent neighborhood filled with deer and small children and nice quiet people. The kids next door were having an all night pool party with music blasting outside and lots of kids talking loudly to be heard over the music. The music was so loud that in my brother's room (the closest bedroom to our neighbors, we could feel the bass vibrating). We called the cops around 2am (our whole family couldn't sleep because of the noise and from the looks of the other houses nearby with their lights on, it looked like they weren't sleeping either) ... Two officers stopped by, had a little chat w/ the 'rents, and it was dead silence afterwards.

I say call the cops. Simple and effective. Plus it's documented that way in case you run into any trouble. JIC.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
dangit dave, they call it off topic for a reason. :lol:

Since there are plenty of folks on the street ready to call the cops when they get loud again, the high road insists you attempt to tell them that folks are annoyed.

If they've been warned, and it continues, call the cops and be done with it. In that case, you'll have done everything you could. Sleep tight.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'll give you a good view of this. I am 21, and I do enjoy having a rager every now and then. During a non-party situation adress the neighbor about his lack of respect for everyone on the street. If he has any head on his shoulders, and any respect he'll keep the noise to a minimum during late hours.

S##t, the least they could have done was invite you right?

all joking aside talk to him once, if there isn't a significant change, grab your video camera....call the cops....and make your first episode of cops

1 - 20 of 42 Posts