Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting to kick around the idea of moving from my passat to a 2001 or 2002 A6 2.7t or a 2001 s4. I am only looking at 6 speed, and I am not looking at anything with more than about 45K on the clock. Was wondering what you all knew about used 2.7t engines and would I be getting myself into a nightmarish relationship. I am quite sure the urge to chip the car would overwhelm my sense of self control. In other words, I would chip it. No other engine mods would be done. Thanks for your opinions. I'd love to get a new a6 2.7t, but It's just not "fiscally responsible." Even if it was, I don't think I could afford it anyways.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no denying the fact that these cars are amazing performers. I'm just afraid I don't know the whole story about maintenance, reliability and repair costs.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
HalfGreek said:
Isn't this a pretty unreliable engine... especially when chipped?
Yes.

The reason passaturbonium's buddy's car hasn't cost him a billion dollars is that he ditched the factory crappy turbos.

Chip a 2.7t stock and they will kill theirselves over and over and over....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Sharky said:
HalfGreek said:
Yes.

The reason passaturbonium's buddy's car hasn't cost him a billion dollars is that he ditched the factory crappy turbos.

I thought the issue was not with the K03's, but with a pipe that could crack allowing boost leak/overspooling, and too-small oil lines causing starvation, all fixed in later models and retrofittable to the older ones?

Chipped is 307 hp and 360 ft/lbs, very nice!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought the issue was not with the K03's, but with a pipe that could crack allowing boost leak/overspooling, and too-small oil lines causing starvation, all fixed in later models and retrofittable to the older ones?

Are these the changes made in 2001?

Good info guys... I appreciate anything that will help me make an informed decision should it get that far. I don't think it makes sense for me to jump from a GIAC chipped b5 to a stock 2.7t simply because the increase in power is not that great. Sure, you get quattro and 6 -speed along with some other sutff, but am I way off base with that assessment?

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
scotty_passat said:
Sharky said:
HalfGreek said:
Yes.

I think he is correct...it has been revised.

I know many S4 and A6 owners that are even chipped .....with no issues. However those turbos do go......just like ours....all turbos go eventually. Usually Turbo doesnt last more then 80k or so.......it can be more...and it can be less.

Anyways.....a great reason to take the engine out....change the turbos to K04s.......waterpump and the starter while you at it:).....and there is your sleeper M5 killer:)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Sure, I'd buy one (as a matter of fact I considered it a couple months ago). I'd just make sure it has all maintenance records and I'd get it inspected first. In most cases, you'll have a little warranty left over as well. While it's true that there have been some serious issues with the turbos in some cars, overall the reliability issue is overstated, IMO.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
J-RAD said:
Sure, I'd buy one (as a matter of fact I considered it a couple months ago). I'd just make sure it has all maintenance records and I'd get it inspected first. In most cases, you'll have a little warranty left over as well. While it's true that there have been some serious issues with the turbos in some cars, overall the reliability issue is overstated, IMO.
Get an Audi certified and if it does go south you have a great warranty.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
J-RAD said:
Second that....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
3rd that recommendation. You may have better luck with the 6 Speed because Audi transmissions are a PITA. Make sure you have the tranzy flushed, new filters, and new clutch/pressure plate!

I'm still looking for an 01-S4 coming off of a lease..

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Sharky said:
Get your wallet out...
YUP! The 2.7T has been the most unreliable turbo engine Audi ever made, hence why it was discontinued. Heck, Audi won't even sell you an extended warranty on a CPO A6 2.7T or S6. It chews turbos even when stock and you have to pull the engine to replace the turbos. Now, I've heard that if you pull the K03s and throw K04s in there, reliability goes WAY up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
StormChaser404
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing