Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at maybe selling our minivan for a 2015 Passat V6 SEL. Supposedly brand new in a dealer showroom. So I have a few questions:

1) How much should I pay for it?
2) What should I look for in terms of issues for a car sitting in a showroom or lot for 2 years?
3) Would you do it?
4) Should I get the extended warranty?
5) What issues should I expect from that model year?

Parents have a 2005 Passat GLX V6 which had issues, catalytic converters, low compression, etc. Thankfully they had the VW extended warranty which paid for itself and then some more.

Thx

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I bought my 2014 Passat Wolfsburg Edition TSI back in February of 2015, it was already 17 months old. I found some documents in the owner's manual that said it rolled off the assembly line in Tennessee in early September of 2013, and was delivered to my dealership in mid-November of that year. The salesman still sold it to me as a new car, with full warranty and everything. He even knocked $5000.00 off the sticker price as a further incentive for me to buy it. So far, I've had no major problems with the car - it runs like a champ, and still gives me great gas mileage.
Now I can only assume that a 2-year-old "new" car in a dealer showroom/lot would not have that many issues - aside from a few more miles on the odometer as a result of whatever test drives the car may have been taken on over that time period. So if you do purchase this car, make sure the salesman is selling it to you as a new car, with full warranty like any other new vehicle.
And yes, I recommend you buying the extended warranty - it'll only add another $30-40 a month to your car payments, but it'll be well worth it. The car will be covered, bumper-to-bumper, far longer than the original warranty would cover. My extended warranty doubles the length of the original - instead of 3 years or 36,000 miles, I'm covered for 6 years or 72,000 miles - whichever comes first. And since I bought my car on the first Saturday of February 2015 (and only have about 26,000 miles on the car right now), I've still got a l-o-n-g way to go on my coverage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts