Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs. Sauce may be giving me a green light on a new variant. :thumbup:
One condition: she says any new car must be automatic transmission. :cry:
I've never owned an automatic, so the thought is somewhat unsavory after 15 years of driving stick. Certainly the tip option makes it more appealing, but I'm trying to gauge if I'd be as happy with my ride if it were automatic.

My question to you current and past 1.8T tip drivers: given the chance, would you buy a tip again?

[if a mod wants to put this to a yes/no poll, I'd be grateful! 8) ]

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I guess if I REALLY had to, I would...but I went through the samething with my lady last year. I traded in my 1.8t tiptronic for a new 1.8t 5-speed variant. At first she was pissed and said that I had to get it in automatic so she could drive it (that was part of the reason why I wanted a 5-speed so she can keep her greasy hands off of my car).

I stuck to my guns, and got the 5-speed and she got over it the first time I took her shopping and found out how much we could fit in the new variant.

The 1.8t really performs much better when mated with a 5-speed.

Good luck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I wish I could have gotten the manual. In general I enjoy driving manuals more. This was a third car for us (kid on the way) and the wife said it had to be auto cause she was pregnant and wasn't driving another standard while pregnant and when the kid comes she wanted an auto so she didn't have to mess with changing gears with the kid in the car and... I gave in and got an auto. Overall, i'm very content. I'd still be happier with a manual but not having to change gears in traffic is nice I suppose. Only other advantage I can see to the standard is a taller 5th gear. There was a post going on here a while back about people looking for a taller 5th gear for the manual passat. In 5th gear they felt the engine was spinning to fast for cruising. I think they said they were somewhere between 3000 and 3500 rpms at 70 mph while the auto (at least mine) is at 2700 to 2800 at 70. Thats about the only other advantage I see.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i drive the 5 speed but my buddies all own the tiptronic i love it can be just as fun as manual. but if i bought another vw i might just go with the auto tip tronic :lol:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I drive in traffic quite a bit so I'm happy with the Tip. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I got over having to shift all the time pretty quick sitting in rush hour traffic for hours on end.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I got my 01' Variant I was torn between stick or tip, welp I ended up getting the tip cause it was the newest one on the lot with the least amount of miles. Looking back on it I do wish I had gotten stick just because it would have been my 1st stick and it's more fun. But not too worry you can have just as much fun with the tip. I really wish that we had gotten the option of direct gear shift on the 04's, soon enough though. As I said though either one is a good choice.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i would deffinitly buy a Tip again, at the time when the car was purchased, i wasnt really to sure when i would ever use it, but it seems that i am using it more often than not. If only they would have integrated a sport tuned mode right in, like the new E500 MBs have, that would have been real cool, but then again you cant have everything..... :wink:

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you have a lot of City driving or your highways are filled with rush hours traffic, then I recommend you the TIP.

Otherwise, go with the 5 speed. My experience is you can also have fun with the Tip, but you've to get used to the +/- clutchless position, and the car feels heavier than the stick.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'd get the manual. I think the tip responds way too slowly, and I have no intention on chipping at this point. Truth be told, I'd rather have a 1.8t manual variant! :D But I got shot down on the "wagon" idea. Ah well.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My B5 bought used 6-months ago is the first automatic I've owned since I sold my Duster in 1979. I wanted a stick yet found a fantastic deal on the auto. It took me weeks to keep the left foot from seeking the clutch.

It is personal preference. The tiptron auto is a well designed convienient feature, especially in traffic, but I miss that intimate connection with my the cars' gear box.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Tiptronic again? YES - How can you drink your Starbucks, light up a smoke, adjust the stereo and use the cell phone all while driving a stick shift in heavy urban traffic :wink: ???

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i have a 1.8t tip, and yes, i would get it again. i use it through heavy congested traffic. as always, the stick is always more fun though. i'd recommend that you test it out before buying it. if you're worried about the tip lag, the tip chip should minimize that.

·
Banned
2 Posts
"Stick" to your guns! How corny was that?! :puke:

My first Passat was '99 1.8T Tip. Very nice, loved it, went for the Tip mainly for the novelty.

I now have a '03 1.8T Manual. The manual car feels SO much faster, way more than just the 20hp difference between the '99 and '03 versions of the 1.8T engine.

See if you can drive both versions before making your decision. I'd definitely go with the manual any day.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
I feel If I had the option at the time I purchased the W8 I would have went with the 6 speed instead. Now as for the 1.8 I have had one as well and it was a tip if I were to ever get another one it would be stick. :wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts