Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I just have something that's been lingering on my mind and nobody ever could give me an answer. All I ever heard was "I think so" or "Maybe". I think so too, but I want to be sure. What I want to know is, well, I wanna have some modifications done to my 99 b5 as well as anybody else in this forum, and I wanna start from the inside (I wanna have the car for me, before I have for others, if you know what I mean), and one thing that came up to my mind is, I love the b5 platform, and wouldn't trade it for a b5.5 not even if it was for a brand new one at the dealership at a even trade!!! But one thing that I like better is the interior. And I was wondering, if I could replace the whole center console, I mean, from the the shift knob, to the cup holders on the back! It looks to me that it's the same exact size and that it would be a perfect match. In the other hand, there's little things, like the the button to open the gas, the extra ac plug facing the back seats on the b5.5s, and the brake, which is located a little different also. How hard would it be to swap the whole center console in my b5 for a b5.5, keeping it totally functional?!? That is, of course, if it does fit perfectly.
By the way, if anybody can answer me with a positive yes, I'd b interested in a black leather console off of a b5.5. Anybody have one for sale?!? :wink:

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i think this has been done. someone will chime in i'm sure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Can someone come to the rescue? :( This is my first post (as I just picked up my 99 sadan Monday) and this is the first thing I want to change.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Yes, it has been done before. The placement of te emergency brake would be key here in the success of the whole swap. Other thing you have ton remember is the release button for the gas tank. That can always be relocated to another location. The switch is only 3 wires (signal, ground, and illumination, IIRC). All you would need to do is find a new location and extend the wires. No big deal, IMO. Same thing with the cig/accessory wires. Splice into the existing accessory outlet in te dash above the shifter. Butt connectors, etc. You may need to bump the fuse for this curcuit though just to make sure its safe.

It can be done, and personally I think it would be great as the cup holders in the 99-00 cars are horrible below the HVAC/center stack. The holders in the center are much better IMO. I would check with someone that has an ETKA/parts CD and see if you can do the swap. It may be helpful to also see if you can find a totaled Passat with the interior peices intact. This will help keep the costs down on the swap.

GL, and HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
4,011 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanx everybody, a lot of valuable information on this thread. One thing that upsets me. I just attracted more people to do the swap, and if it was already hard enough finding the parts off of a Passat, imagine now with a lot more people looking for them :suspicio: . :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
vwpwr
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing