Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was part of a post back in early November about cold shifting...............now I'll change my tune, a bit;)

05 Passat 1.8T AWD 5MT. 20k on the car, never raced, bought it new. (syncros are fine). Stock fluid in the trans.

I always found that on a cold morning, I could get 2nd gear easy by just a quick double-clutch, and being patient to get into 2nd.

My wife is now driving the car a lot, and is having a hell of a time getting 2nd when it is cold, even when she double-clutches it. She'll skip 2nd alltogether if she can, but we have a couple hills here that make it hard to do so.

I warm the car in the AM whenever I can, but when I don't, she has a hard time getting it into 2nd...........it also happens when she leaves work at night.

SO...............is there a quality manual transmission fluid (redline?) that would help with the cold weather shifting??? Once it's warmed up, no complaints, it shifts like butter;)

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
The stock fluid is about the best there is for cold shifting. Sorry. Redline has been widely reported to make cold shifting even worse.

SirWired

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are some guys over on AW talking about a blend of MT-90 and MTL or something.....................anybody???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just shift very slowly until it warms up and let the revs drop. Ratio between first and second needs 1/3 less revs to go easy on the synchros. ie clutch in at 3000 rpm in first, wait 'til tach drops to 2000 before pulling it into second.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Just shift very slowly until it warms up and let the revs drop. Ratio between first and second needs 1/3 less revs to go easy on the synchros. ie clutch in at 3000 rpm in first, wait 'til tach drops to 2000 before pulling it into second.
or double clucth till warmed up

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
There are some guys over on AW talking about a blend of MT-90 and MTL or something.....................anybody???
I have tried several different non-OEM fluids from Redline: a mix of MT-90/MTL and most recently straight MTL. Bottom line is, the VW transmission sux. Neither of the Redline lubricants reduce the piss-poor 1 - 2 cold shift problem and I may just go back to the ridiculously expensive OEM fluid out of frustration. I honestly don't think the OEM fluid will be any better because the Redline MTL is alreadyvery thin, the only thing I can think of that may help is some mystery friction modifier which the OEM fluid has. BTW, I have read that the OEM fluid is actually Castrol TFX but it's nearly impossible to get that in the US, only Lotus dealers carry it and then they only have it in half liter bottles.

·
Banned
401 Posts
I have the same problem. This is a little bit trick. When u shift second push it a little to the right. You got to be very careful you dont want to shift into 4th. There is this position between 2nd and 4th that the trans can take 2nd with no resistance. First couple of times i was shifting 4th but after a while u get used to it. Just be patient

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A friend of mine is a VW Tech at a dealership........I asked him for some advise, and he said the dealership uses Pennzoil Synchromesh in any VW that has manual transmission shifting problems.

I've done some reading, and the reviews seem very positive, so I think I'll try it;)

Ben

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
A friend of mine is a VW Tech at a dealership........I asked him for some advise, and he said the dealership uses Pennzoil Synchromesh in any VW that has manual transmission shifting problems.

I've done some reading, and the reviews seem very positive, so I think I'll try it;)

Ben
Sign my ass up as well. Next time I am able to change the tranny fluid, I'll give it a shot, can't hurt at this stage. One question, did your VW tech state to use 100% Synchromesh or possibly blend in a certain amount with the stock fluid? Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts