Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at buying a 2001 Passat with the VR6 and 5 speed. Its cheap.....I think. But will need a little work. 337000 KM. Seller says timing belt (is it even a belt??) was done 130000 KM ago. Clutch is toast (as in car won't even move). She quit using the power windows as she said they started getting very slow to come back up. Trunk doesn't latch?? She says it closes tight but wont lock, someone told her that was an easy fix. So with me being new to the VW gasser world, is that mileage too high for that motor?? What can a person expect to get for mileage out of a VR6?? I can get the car for 450 bucks and figure maybe no more than 1000 to fix the known issues...…..looking for opinions on whether to pull the trigger or not

·
Registered
316 Posts
So.... its not a VR6. Its a conventional 90 degree V6 with double overhead camshafts, and 5V per cylinder. Displacement is 2.8L, which is the same as the VR6. This might be the cause of the confusion.

Based on your description, the timing belt is due.

Sounds like a basket case. Unless its free (or close to it), I would walk away. These guys like regular maintenance, and this one doesn’t sound like its gotten much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
So.... its not a VR6. Its a conventional 90 degree V6 with double overhead camshafts, and 5V per cylinder. Displacement is 2.8L, which is the same as the VR6. This might be the cause of the confusion.

Based on your description, the timing belt is due.

Sounds like a basket case. Unless its free (or close to it), I would walk away. These guys like regular maintenance, and this one doesn’t sound like its gotten much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That'd be correct on engine specs.
I'm guessing you'd have to spend in the neighborhood of $2k to get this car back to where it needs to be, that's just in the engine bay.
It sounds as though it has been severely neglected. That for sure will need a full on PCV system refresh. Can run you up to around $400.
An OEM clutch kit will run about $300. A new OEM dual mass flywheel is around $450.
Timing belt refresh kits are around $250 to $350 plus other things like coolant and any other hoses, which in this case I'm sure you'll need.
If it were me, I would replace ALL of the coolant hoses. That's going to be an easy $300 to $400.
This is all based on you doing your own wrenching.

Take this a bit further, if this car is really that neglected, it'll more than likely need a complete front end refresh (control arms, wheel bearing), brakes and possibly motor mounts.
That equals even more of a $$ lay out.
If this car had a perfectly straight body and ZERO rust it might be a consideration, but from being up in the north country, I'm guessing it's not.

My .02 cents worth based off personal experience.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would only consider an AWD. Here’s a check one tha sounds way better than the beater you mention:

·
Registered
82 Posts
You looking at that one for a hobby? Did not know that a v6 2.8L would go that high on miles. Had to have some good care given to it. 337,000 miles?

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,431 Posts
You looking at that one for a hobby? Did not know that a v6 2.8L would go that high on miles. Had to have some good care given to it. 337,000 miles?
337K km, or about 210K mi

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,431 Posts
That'd be correct on engine specs.
I'm guessing you'd have to spend in the neighborhood of $2k to get this car back to where it needs to be, that's just in the engine bay.
It sounds as though it has been severely neglected. That for sure will need a full on PCV system refresh. Can run you up to around $400.
An OEM clutch kit will run about $300. A new OEM dual mass flywheel is around $450.
Timing belt refresh kits are around $250 to $350 plus other things like coolant and any other hoses, which in this case I'm sure you'll need.
If it were me, I would replace ALL of the coolant hoses. That's going to be an easy $300 to $400.
This is all based on you doing your own wrenching.

Take this a bit further, if this car is really that neglected, it'll more than likely need a complete front end refresh (control arms, wheel bearing), brakes and possibly motor mounts.
That equals even more of a $$ lay out.
If this car had a perfectly straight body and ZERO rust it might be a consideration, but from being up in the north country, I'm guessing it's not.

My .02 cents worth based off personal experience.
Don't forget reliability and electrical system considerations. An aging and increasingly unreliable electrical system is what finally killed my 1996 A4, which still has a sound engine, transmission, and Quattro driveline.

·
Registered
26,826 Posts
$450 for a FWD V6 5sp project is not bad if the interior/paint is decent (no interior water leaks). If you like working on cars it's worth it. If you pay people to work on cars, I would pass as it would add up to a $5K car. If you work on it, you can save a ton of money in parts by using heater hose for PCV replacement parts, buying cheaper parts online in the classifieds (on here and VWVortex).

As for the motor, it could last up to 500K if taken care of. If they used synthetic oil instead of dino, if they did regular oil changes, if they kept it tuned up, etc...
For mpg, the V6 5sp sedan does quite well on the highway, anywhere between 28-30mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It probably needs catalytic converters too. The flex couplings rot and it is a painful diy due to the shape of the pipes and the placement of the flange bolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts