Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've all had situations where we couldn't avoid hitting something due to speed, safety comfort (risk taking), etc.

About two weeks ago, driving on a Sunday afternoon (w/ sun at bad angle), guard rail on the right, semi-truck in passing lane, running 60-65...I first noticed the object about 1/4 mile away. Thought it might be a piece of random garbage, nope.

Rather, a three foot section of railroad tie (8"X8"x36") [WTF!] I eased towards the guard rail, hit the tie section at an angle since it was at a 45 degree angle to the lane and wound up with both tires airborne at the same time for a few milliseconds, but didn't lose control. Gotta love the good ol' boy from Alabama driving around with his pick-up tailgate down because he's either lazy or thinks he's saving fuel... :banghead:

Damage: Driver's inner CV joint is now letting the hurt it took be noticed, since I can't accelerate hard without vibration and left headlight and/or lock carrier may be damaged beyond repair since driver's HL now points 8-10 feet in front of bumper.

Your "near misses" (this means you actually hit something)?

9-1 edit:
Things that have hit the windshields of other VW's I've owned...

Truck Tire Carcass Pieces (not the whole "gator") - Keep your eyes out for these, especially if you're prone to tailgating. Usually, the car in front hits the small carcass piece, kicks it up ~36-45 in. high, then it hits your windshield (with exposed steel cords, which at 65-70mph will permanently gouge the glass).

Birds - It's been a while, but last time it happened (25 yrs back) was on a deserted two-lane in the FL panhandle. If this happens in excess of 85mph, it'll scare the s*** out of you (heart will rise in your chest an inch or so...)

Drive Defensively to Arrive Alive! :cool:
:beer:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Half a cinder block bounced out of a dump truck just ahead of me at 50mph. I was driving a Saab 900 at the time which swallowed it up without any ill effects that I know of.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Back in 1993 I was driving on the 401 near Pearson Airport (busiest highway in North America) and a wheel came bouncing, rolling down my lane from a tow-truck towing a old 2nd generation Honda Accord. I had no choice but to take the hit as both lanes next to me were full of semi's. Hit my 1991 Accord Coupe on the right rear flank, needed new alloy rim and some bodywork to the RR fender.

After hitting me, the wheel assembly re-bounded off to the side of highway, 2 lanes away. Nobody else was affected. Tow-truck company was charged, paid all my costs.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,160 Posts
A 1973 Chevrolet Camaro? Or isn't that what you meant? (GRIN) Bounced off a raised concrete lane divider once in my misspent youth...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Backside of a Buck. I saw the female, put on the brakes thinking where there is one there is two....smacked him right in the caboose. No harm to car or deer! Thank God!

·
Registered
28,365 Posts
While riding my bicycle at age 16; back of a parked car at over 30mph. 3 days in the hospital with a concussion, no broken bones, but it looked like my face was smashed.
1st car, hit the right front tire into the fender when the lug nuts fell off, then hit the 9qt oil pan into the ground and turned it into a 7qt pan. :(
1st Passat, hit a curb showing off to my son, cracked the oil pan.
1st Passat, hit the RR tire of a pickup they made a left in front of me. Bent the hood, fender, took out the headlight.
1st Passat, hit the roof of the car into a ditch on the side of the road....end of 1st Passat.

Reactions: Iowegian

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Somewhere in Tennessee, driving on I-75 south bound middle of night. Pitch black. I noticed a log truck making an illegal turn on to the north bound over the median. My Passat was almost getting impaled by the logs sticking out of the big truck. Missed by mere inches. I would be dead now!
I figured out the meaning of life that night! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not me but my step mother hit a cow. It was dark and she was in a 91 Camaro that my father and I had swapped a 472 ci fuel injected big block in. Had literally been road worthy a month and a half. It was a black cow at night but dang, it tore that car up. Now that I'm older I'm sure alcohol was involved ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Back in 1999 driving our 1998 Ford Explorer, wife and I were on a trip deep into Mexico. Jalisco to be exact. But before we got into Mexico (still in the states) we were on interstate 40 doing about 65-70ish, a deer ran out onto the interstate, got clipped by a semi that was just ahead me. Both the left and right lanes right beside me were 2 more semi's, the deer spun off the semi in front of me and right into the center lane, I had absolutely nowhere to go. I hit that deer square at 60 MPH. The front of that SUV came off the ground and I thought we were goners. Miraculously, the SUV came back down without swerving. My heart was pounding so much I thought it was going to crack my rib cage. My wife was sleeping when I hit the deer, it scared her so bad she literally jumped straight up out of her seat, like a cat does when you scare the shit out it. That was by far the most hair raising event I have experienced behind the wheel.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
A curb.

I was 17-18, and I was driving my 1979 MGB to school in the mid-80s.

Making a left-hand turn from a side street (on my side of the road), a lady pulled right in front of me.

I had to swerve around her to avoid a collision, which I did.

However, my right front tire caught the curb, and combined with my momentum, it launched the side of the car up, and I rolled. All the way over.

The top was down.

Luckily, I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, and I slid forward a bit in the cockpit. Had I been buckled, the car would've rolled over onto my head.

I walked away without a scratch. The MG was not so lucky, as it got totaled. The insurance company paid out using the collector car pricing, which was enough to to buy it back and get it repaired.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Driving a '77 Subaru, my first car, I hit a pothole then a light post that bent my bumper in against the fender. The bend in the old Chrome bumper (remember those) stuck out in front about a foot.
Two days later, in a light snow, I slid straight into a guardrail and hit the wooden post directly on the bent point of the bumper. All the forces of Speed, Momentum, Resistence, and Hyperbole must have aligned, and the 2nd accident repaired the damage from the 1st. The bumper absorbed the impact and was pressed out straighter than a 2x4".
Don't try this at home

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Merged onto the freeway just as a semi was passing. It's vacuum sucked up a 4'x8' that was laying in the middle of the lane, standing it up like a wall right in front of me at 60 mph. Fortunately it was particle board, which shattered into hundreds of pieces.

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,304 Posts
Worst thing I've ever hit? The only thing I've ever was a raccoon. The car was fine, but I was upset that he was dead.

Worst thing that's ever hit me? Well, there's a thread on here for that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm torn on this one.

1. The first time my dad and I drove solo from PA to FL and back in the same weekend, I hit a giant piece of the tire a tractor trailer in front of me was in the process of shredding. Thankfully that was in his Silverado, so it was just like a speed bump. We almost took his Mustang instead-If we had done that I wouldn't be here to tell the tale.

2. While driving my Passat home through FL on I-75, I couldn't avoid the aluminum ladder that fell off of a truck in front of me. It was straight before I hit it, an L-shape after I hit it, and not recognizable after the 10 cars behind me hit it. Amazingly, nothing more than another scrape on the bottom cover (belly pan?)! Very thankful for that because the left front I hit it with had a new CV axle, new tie rod, and a tire that was less than one month old. I passed the guy as he pulled over on my exit ramp (it took him 30 miles to realize what happened) and laughed.

Honorable mention: Both of my original front turn signal assemblies hit the roof as they flew off the car. I have no idea where they came to rest, so maybe they're still out there on I-81 and US 19. The replacements have the springs and are also zip-tied around the frame :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts