Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 2006 VW passat with 56,000 miles on it, well my malfunction light came on, so I took it to autozone, and they said it was a #2 Cylinder Miss Fire, and that its wasnt that big of a deal.

So I'm alway running back and fourth and not thinking about it, well 2 days later, my malfunction light starts flashing at me, and the car started shaking, and the muffler was almost coughing at me. So I took it to my local shop and they scanned it and like 10 codes came up, one was a engine coil or something, and the other where happening because of same part that adjust for higher RPM's and Lower RPM's.

And it so happens that the parts that broke are not covered by the warranty. I've have the car for 3 months only put 3,000 miles on it.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Get the codes and report back.

One month or three...

I have a 2006 VW Passat 2.0T, I've only had it for about a month now.

But I get this brake dust film on the right side of my car and on the rear wheels, and it will not stop, I took it back to the dealer and they said the brake pads where fine etc.

But nothing hurts more than washing your baby then it get dirty 10 mins driving lol.

Anything I could try to do to fix it? I'll try to get some pictures

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
OP not to rub salt on your wound but you should have posted here when u initially had the misfire. going forward don't believe everything autozone people say. engine misfires should never be taken lightly.
keep us posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok here is a follow up on my story. My local shop replaced the engine coil for the number #2 cylinder, well the malfunction light came on, so I took it to a VW dealership and they scanned it.

And the # 2 cylinder is still miss firing and now I have these codes.

P3138- Intake Manifold Runner
P2008- Intake Manifold Runner Bank 1 Control
P0300- Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0302- #2 Missfire

To make a long story short they replaced the whole Intake Manifold ASSY. They said that that could be causing the missfires. Is this true? 500 bucks in repairs so far I really don't want to go back for awhile lol.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ok here is a follow up on my story. My local shop replaced the engine coil for the number #2 cylinder, well the malfunction light came on, so I took it to a VW dealership and they scanned it.

And the # 2 cylinder is still miss firing and now I have these codes.

P3138- Intake Manifold Runner
P2008- Intake Manifold Runner Bank 1 Control
P0300- Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0302- #2 Missfire

To make a long story short they replaced the whole Intake Manifold ASSY. They said that that could be causing the missfires. Is this true? 500 bucks in repairs so far I really don't want to go back for awhile lol.
Is the misfire gone? If so then you have to go on the good faith your ride is repaired.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Ive only had it for a day and its been running good. But the first time they changed the coil it worked for about 3 days then the light came on. So we will see.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,288 Posts
If that is the worst day of your life, I'll trade you. Should have bought an extended warranty. Might want to look into one since it does not appear you know much about the mechanical aspects of the car.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well Ive only had it for a day and its been running good. But the first time they changed the coil it worked for about 3 days then the light came on. So we will see.
I know it sucks when your horse lets ya down but eventually you will realize your horse is running good and your faith in your trusted steed will be renewed....if not....go give VW hell! :driving:

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
It that was the worst day of your life, you're doing pretty good.

Coils cost like $50 and you can swap them yourself in two minutes with a 5mm allen wrench, which is a good thing too, because you'll end up replacing each of them at least once. If that gets your panties in a bunch, trade the car in NOW and get a Japmobile, because this car (like all Volkswagens) will eat your bank account alive after it hits about 5-7 years old. As for the intake runner assembly, I guess the newer engines must have some adjustable-length thing that got jammed and stopped working, but I'm totally unfamiliar with that so I'll have to reserve judgement on whether it really needed replacing or just a quick spritz of oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I dont do this for a living so I don't know anything about the mechanical aspects, I'm only 16 lol I just worry about passing highschool lol.

And when my parents bought the car the dealer said yeah we will sell you extended warranty for $3,000 for 1 year or 20,000 miles. They just laughed at him.

Anyway they replaced the other 2 coils free of charge.

·
Registered
530 Posts
$3,000 for 1 year or 20,000 miles
WTH? I got 2 years 24000 miles for $2000.00! Good luck man. Expensive car to own from what I have been reading. I got the extended warranty but also worked on cars for over 15 years so that is something in my corner. However, I do not want to spend every Saturday working on a pile of worn parts in my driveway with a VW badge on the nose of it. :wrench:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah we are big believers when it comes to warranty(If its worth it) but in this situation it was impossible to pay that much for that little warranty.

·
Registered
486 Posts
lol when i saw the title of this thread, i thought he was talking about the day you get married :lol:

erm... sorry about your car, same shitty problem as b5.5 coil pack.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
hum, when i bought my 04 1.8t, i had about the same issues, but they where all cover under warranty.

what kind of warranty will not cover basic engine parts? I understand brakes, shocks, and stuff like that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts