Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The important stuff:
My serpentine belt is wearing away, and I need to replace it ASAP.

I figured while the whole front is gonna be off replacing that belt, why not have some fun with it, and throw in one of these that I've just spotted on ECS again:
Volkswagen Passat B5 FWD 1.8T > Engine > Pulleys > ES#2623065 Lightweight Crank Pulley - 003135ECS01A

There are a few other threads here that discuss the benefits (if any), but I'm not really interested in that, at least for the purpose of this thread.
I've been trying to research belt diagrams for 1.8T AWM's, but I still don't really understand if that pulley is on the serpentine belt route, or hooked up to other belts. The description also says it's stock diameter so no need for different sized belts.

I was just hoping to get some recommendations on this project, especially whether this would be a good time to add in that pulley or not. In other words, I'm about to hit the order button on a new serpentine belt and pulley, does this sound good?

Edit: obvious but omitted question, should I replace the other belts while I'm at it even though they look to be in great condition?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Aren't there just two belts - the serpentine belt & the A/C belt?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I think on some engines there is also a water pump v belt off the PS pump.

OP, do you know why the belt is coming apart? is it rubbing against something? is a bearing seizing up and causing too much friction on the belt? something else?

Or, is it just mileage? and if so, that would indicate that some more critical maintenance may not have been done perhaps? the belts are really not the hardest thing to change and they are quite important.

the belts themselves are cheap. the things they drive make them important.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
It looks like something is cutting into your serpentine belt from the top. You're going to want to put it into service position and follow the belt path all the way around looking for something touching the top of that belt. It could be a bolt somewhere has backed out and the head is now touching the spinning belt.

Lightweight accessory pulleys have little to no downside. Lightweight crank pulley instead of a harmonic dampener crank pulley means you give up the harmonic dampening function.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like something is cutting into your serpentine belt from the top. You're going to want to put it into service position and follow the belt path all the way around looking for something touching the top of that belt. It could be a bolt somewhere has backed out and the head is now touching the spinning belt.

Lightweight accessory pulleys have little to no downside. Lightweight crank pulley instead of a harmonic dampener crank pulley means you give up the harmonic dampening function.
Good call on the rubbing. I shouldn't have a problem putting the car in the service position, but I am having a bit of difficulty finding a good writeup for a B5.5.

In regards to harmonic dampening, another thread I was reading was saying the 1.8T engines don't actually have any harmonic dampening properties in the crank pulley, unlike the V6 which do. I don't really care either way.

Also, for AWM engines I could only find 2 belts from googling diagrams and searching for parts, one for the A/C and one for the alternator. Gonna try and order the parts as soon as possible, would it be worth it just to get the second belt replaced for shiggles since I'm in there? Also, looking at ECS kits, they have a bunch that include the tensioners. Is it sufficient to replace just the belts and not the tensioners as well? (not trying to spend an extra $100)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, it broke today. Suddenly got an alternator warning and my power steering just dropped out. I've got no choice but to dive in there and try to fix it. Never done a belt job, never put the car in the service position. I've got a couple of walkthrus and writeups to go on, but if anyone has any specific advice real quick for this job, now would be the time to share it. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm following this writeup, at least to get the car in the service position. However I've got a B5.5 and this is for a B5. Most things are the same, but I'm having trouble getting the car in the service position. I've got all the bumpers and stuff off, but I just can't figure out what to disconnect next. Also the writeup says the bumper bolts will hold the place of the carrier bolts, but they don't seem to fit in mine...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updates: FINISHED! Except for one little thing.... my hood now will not latch fully, it catches the first latch, and can be pushed all the way down, but will not latch fully. Any advice? :banghead: I just wanna drive the thing!

As a little bonus, I happened to come across some sort of repair manual pages for a 1.8T AWM that I found while searching the interwebs. Click here Pulled this link from an audiforums thread.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
It sounds as though the lock carrier hasn't been re-seated correctly. Ensure it has been pushed completely back into it's proper position before tightening all the bolts.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you figure out what was cutting into the belt?
No clue... However, I also no longer hear the same rubbing sound I used to hear, so that's good. Also fixed the hood issue, just loosened the bolts on the latch and raised it a couple mm higher, closes like new!

Super happy with the outcome on this project, first time I've EVER dug that deep into my car, pretty happy that I now know how to get into the service position. Looks like I'll be doing my next timing belt job myself and saving a ton of cash!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts